Author Topic: TatWitt Two  (Read 21161 times)

witt

Re: TatWitt Two
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 05:49 AM »
2435-0

This is my latest creation. It is a variation of "Doo's Doily." I call it "Two Doo Doily." I like it even better.

Offline Sartor

• Paragon
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Witt..........looks great.  My Mom tatted a lot of this type of doily.  I can see her now, sitting her rocker, tatting and listening to her Soaps on the radio.  She passed away at age 98.

Sartor
Our greatest illusion is to think that others see us as we believe ourselves to be.

Offline Bittersweet

• Paragon
  • Live. Love. Write.
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2007, 06:28 PM »
Beautiful work Lady Witt.  You have talent in those hands of yours!   :rose

Offline Dryad

• Ornamental
  • Willows
  • Go on, go on, leave me breathless (the Corrs)
    • Under the Impression
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 07:37 AM »
Wow. Those are cool doilies and stuff.

Is tatting similar to crochet? Sounded like people were saying it was.

When I look at one of your finished pieces I just cant imagine how you got from thread to that!
slight imperfections in my personality are NOT to be considered flaws but show that i am handmade and of the highest quality.

Offline nixon

• Willows
  • Dandelion, just another name for a weed.
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 07:50 AM »
Hi Witt,

They are beautiful...my grandmother would crochet....something I wish I had paid more attention too.  My other grandmother quilts, something I did learn to do...but start and never finish...

I love the intricate design...how big is it? I thought of you yesterday...I picked some peaches...did your trees produce a peach or two..

hope your day is very good

:) brenda
In loving Memory
Justin Michael Owen
1987-2004
Only the good die young

witt

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 09:12 AM »
Thanks, Dryad. I'm glad that you took a look-see. Tatting appears to be like crochet, but it is a type of knotting. Crochet is like a looping of the thread. If you pull on crochet, the whole thing comes unraveled like knitting. With tat, there are double stitches and it doesn't pull out. That's why it takes twice as long to tat as it does to crochet. I use a shuttle, but there is needle tatting and you can even finger tat.

Here's what it looks like when you're tatting.

witt

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 09:15 AM »
Nixon, the "Two Doo Doily" is about nine inches in diameter. It is my own original design.

Nope, no peaches. We really didn't expect them since it was their first year, but we had the Big Freeze at Easter and no one down here will have peaches this year!

Offline Dryad

• Ornamental
  • Willows
  • Go on, go on, leave me breathless (the Corrs)
    • Under the Impression
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2007, 09:32 AM »
that's cool. Now i know.

Doesnt look too easy anyhow
slight imperfections in my personality are NOT to be considered flaws but show that i am handmade and of the highest quality.

witt

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2007, 06:54 AM »
Someone wanted the tatted butterfly in color, so I tried a variegated thread. This is how it turned out.
2524-0

Remember to click on the image to make it larger if you can't read it.

Offline Rach

• Paragon
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I love that, Witt.  You are so talented.  I love the poem too.  Great job.

Offline A_Mourning_Glory

• LOOK AT THE STARS...LOOK HOW THEY SHINE FOR YOU (Coldplay)
  • Paragon
  • Chandelier Dazzler
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Witt ~

Beautiful, beautiful...    you are so multi-talented.

My grandmother gave me so many beautiful items in white, ecru and pastels, i.e. doilies and whole bedspreads and/or bed coverings but most were knitted, a few crochet pieces.  She taught me to crochet and gave up on me with knitting.  She always said her fingers knew the way like a blind man reads braille.  I've never seen tatting before and it's lovely.  While I see similarities to the look of a few delicately knitted doilies and stuff given me,  from the close up pics of your tatting, there is truly no comparison and it's just amazing (to me).

If I were so talented, I could see me finishing up my first piece in the next 20 years, lol

AMG (Cherri)     :kool
"I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine."
....Spike Milligan (1918-2002)...

witt

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2007, 05:44 AM »
Thanks, Rach. I'm glad that you liked it.

Naw, it didn't take that long to do, just 10 1/2 years.

witt

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2007, 06:37 AM »
A friend came to me with a bookmark that I had designed years ago. She wanted me to make a whole bunch of them to make as gifts. Lesson learned? I need to write down the patterns for my creations. If she had not brought me the original, I would have had a heck of a time recreating it.

2552-0

Click on the pic to read.

Offline Rach

• Paragon
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2007, 07:35 PM »
Oh, that is so sweet, witt.  It's cool that your friend has held this bookmark so close as a reminder of your friendship.