Author Topic: TatWitt Two  (Read 21270 times)

witt

Re: TatWitt Two
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 06:34 AM »
Thank you so much. I really appreciate that.
I'm working on a piece now using a technique that I have never tried to do before. I hope it works. If it does, I shall post a scan of it.

Offline Sartor

• Paragon
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Witt............I finally made it to this location.  Your work is awesome.  As I told you in the past my Mom used to do a lot of tatting also.  Jean and I have the dear bookmarks you tatted for us.  Mine (the Seahawk one) at present is in a book of the Bard's sonnets.  Seems like I have been so busy this past few months I never get around to all the locations in SplashHall.  May the Muses spend much time with you in both your tatting and poetry.
Our greatest illusion is to think that others see us as we believe ourselves to be.

witt

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Thank you for stopping by for a visit. I appreciate your kind words. The tatting muse seems to have left me hanging today. Maybe I'm just tatted out.
Come back for another visit. Perhaps I'll have the scan up of my last creation because you have evoked the tatting muse.

witt

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 05:51 AM »
Here is the latest creation. It is long and narrow. I'm guessing about 12 x 5. It would be perfect for a narrow table. It was too long to get on the scanner, so I had to turn it askew.

Offline Sartor

• Paragon
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 02:11 PM »
Looks great Witt......I recall Mom made them for upholstered chair arms and a round one for the headrest.
Our greatest illusion is to think that others see us as we believe ourselves to be.

witt

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 02:50 PM »
Thanks, much! Yes, I believe they were called antimacassars. Macassar was the name of a hair dressing.

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 05:13 PM »
True art.
I wonder if a fat old guy with four thumbs can come even close to that.
I'd probably have to call my creation mycarcass.
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline Sartor

• Paragon
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Witt.........the things I learn from you.......I may use this information in one of my poems some day......huggs

Macassar oil is a compounded oil used primarily by men in Victorian and Edwardian times as a hair dressing.

Macassar oil is basically coconut oil or palm oil to which has been added the very fragrant "ylang-ylang" oil (obtained by processing the flowers of the Ylang-ylang tree, aka Cananga odorata) as well as some other fragrant oils. (For details on the tree, as well as the oil extraction process and the oil's use in Macassar oil.

Macassar oil was so named because it was reputed to have been manufactured from ingredients purchased in the port of Makassar in Indonesia.

Due to the tendency for the oil to transfer from a gentleman's hair to the back of the chair he was sitting on, the antimacassar was developed. This is essentially a small crocheted cloth placed over the back of a chair

witt

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2007, 06:05 AM »
Wow! When you research something, you don't leave anything out, do you? Yes, most antimacassars were crocheted. Tatting was used mostly as edgings, inserts and doilies (Doily is an eponymous word). I guess they were too precious to get oily. It takes about twice as long to tat something as it does to crochet because the tatting technique uses double knots and not just one. Tatting is actually more durable than crochet because crochet will ravel away to nothing, whereas tatting will knot (pun intended).

Well, I'll drop another bit of info on you. The word macassar is eponymous because it was named for the port, Makassar, in Indonesia.

Offline Sartor

• Paragon
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2007, 01:25 PM »
Actually, I only looked up the word Macassar to find out what it was.  I simply copied and pasted.  No intention of discrediting your tatting of antimacassars.  I also had to look up the word, eponymous.  Smiles to you Witt, you are still teaching me new words and ideas.

Here is an eponymous remark that comes to mind.

A Sartorism to live by:

"Never make supercilious retorts unless provoked"

witt

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 03:09 PM »
I finally finished this piece. The next time I create a pattern, remind me to do something less complicated!

Offline Allen

• Paragon
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 04:02 PM »
This is absolutely magnificent.  The detail in this is incredible.  How many total hours would it take you to make something like this - Just curious
 :sunny :sunny :sunny
Allen

An action promulgated out of desperation will inevitably end in tragedy; for as its anagram so aptly foretells:  A rope ends it. �

witt

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 04:13 PM »
I have no idea. I have never calculated it. I'm not sure I'd want to know! I do it in the evenings when I am watching tv after book work and gardening time is over. With the terrible storms that we had for the last several days, I had a little extra time to work with it since I couldn't get on Splash and I couldn't go outside and dig.
Thanks for your interest in my work.
I created this design a year or so ago. Usually, I can just look at something and replicate it, but not with this baby. I had to print out my own instructions and I still had a time! Oh, but I do love a challenge.

witt

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2007, 06:50 AM »
My latest original design.

"Doo's Doily"