Author Topic: Introduction T(r)opic  (Read 3366 times)

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
Re: Introduction T(r)opic
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Hi Dutch. I have a poem about flowers. If I can ever find it, would itbe proper to post it here?
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 08:56 AM »
Hi Lucy!

Thanks for liking the orchids. So much more to come! To celibrate the soon comming of Spring and having a new job I decided to buy two new orchids for The Greenhouse, so I will put up descriptions and pictures soon...!

Have a great day and come visit soon!

:rose
A thing of beauty, is a joy forever ~John Keats~

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 09:19 AM »
Hi Daisy!

From the time I did a trip through Florida together with my sister I know how beautiful the sunsets and -rises can be overthere!

Iam happy you liked the picture of the "banana orchid". Was fun for me to go hunt for this orchid for The Greenhouse, because I never heard or seen it before.

I think that for you overthere in Florida Dendrobiums of the "phalaenopsis" type would grow and flower perfectly..eitehr on a balcony or in the garden year through. Second I would think a lot of hybrids from the Cattleya section would do lovely!

So, keep looking inhere for tips on how/where to buy them and how to care for them. But with a busy job now I have less time to spend inhere...But I promisse I won't forget!

To give you an impression of what you could grow overthere in Florida...Here two pictures of a Dendrobium orchid as well as a Cattleya orchid.

Enjoy your day!

Dendrobium x phalaenopsis
1112-0

Cattleya "Bali"
1114-1

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Hi witt and welcome to my Greenhouse!

Had to look up the word "ophthalmologist"..lol...learning all the time! How cool of him to have a office of those lovely orchids...they sure bring color to every room!

So sorry to hear that your house hasn't much light...but the good news is that..alot of orchids just LOVE shade. It's something a lot of people think...Orchids need full sunlight, but 9 out of 10 orchids would die in direct sunlight within say a few weeks!

Depending on the temperatures inside your house, and on what side of the house the window(s) are situated there may be possibilities for Phalaenopsis(yes the one from my Haiku..lol) and for Paphiopedilums(better known in everyday's English as Ladyslippers). I was already planning on writing some about both 'genera' as they are very populair orchids to grow inside the house.

Also for you two pictures so you have an idea, what your house could be like with an orchid inside.

Phalaenopsis "Texas Superstar"
1118-0

Paphiopedilum hybride
1120-1

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 09:47 AM »
Hi A-Friend!

Thanks for visiting..and sure I would love and be honored having your plant poem in my Greenhouse! I will open a new topic for it, so when you found it you can post it there!

Have a good day!

:sunny