Author Topic: Introduction T(r)opic  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
Introduction T(r)opic
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Hello everybody!

Thanks for stopping by...Please will you close the door of The Greenhouse carefully behind you? Its a lovely temperature (85F/ 70% humidity) inhere for the tropical plants and we don't want them to get a cold(...I dont think even elise has a solution to that health problem...lol)

Please have yourself a nice comfy seat and enjoy the display of orchids from all over the world...There are 50,000 species known and even more hybrids(orchids made by human), around 75,000..every year there are made more.

Let me know if you want to learn anything about the orchids. Or maybe you want to try one in your own house...

*Warning* Growing orchids is very addictive and Dutch cannot hold responsible for having your house filled to every available spot with these beautiful creatures of nature

Please enjoy your stay...

:sunny :rose :sunny
A thing of beauty, is a joy forever ~John Keats~

Offline LucyLuu

• ~Poetry in Motion~
  • Paragon
  • ~Never Give Up On Your Dreams~
Re: Introduction T(r)opic
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Hi Dutch,

Closing the door tightly behind me...Orchids are beautiful and I can't wait to see them all!!  The one you have up now is lovely...I would love to have them all over my house..but..hummm.. wouldnt that mean that I''d have to water them...ehehe..  I barely have time to water myself..lol  I think I'll just enjoy yours for now...

:rose :rose :rose :rose :rose :rose :rose :rose

I'll be checking back to see all the pretty orchids you have... thanks for the invite.. bye for now... closing the door tightly behind me.. giggles..

Denise
Love like you've never been hurt and Dance like nobody's watching!

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.
Anne Frank

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 10:49 AM »
oOo Dutch!!!   I am so happy to see your Greenhouse here!   We are all in for a very huge treat!   Awesome idea to showcase your orchids here!   

-looks around the Greenhouse and shuts myself in-

Just lovely.

-elise
I felt it shelter to speak to you  ~Emily Dickinson

Offline Voodoo Child

• Temple Dancer
  • Paragon
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:10 PM »
Hi Dutch!
My house is filled with Jade plants... orchids would be a nice change. I'll be watching my email for a few beautiful flowers. Send instruction on how to care for them, please!

Cheers,
Cookie
Cookie...

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." John Lennon

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 07:25 PM »
Thanks Denise for visiting and liking the picture of the first orchid, much more to follow I promisse!

Yeah, its true..orchids need water on a regular base..some vitamines and minerals, warmth and Tender Love & Care...

Well youre very welcome to come visit often to check out on new pictures and an introduction on the care of orchids. Iam sure it will be already fun to read and look at the awesome forms and colors nature put into the orchid world...

The picture I have here is as you can see a Phalaenopsis. One of the more populair orchid sections in the orchid family and very suitable for growing in houses...

Hope to see you again soon in my Greenhouse!

*hands a spike of white Phalaenopis to color your livingroom*

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:33 PM »
Hi elise, my dear friend!

How very nice to see you in my Greenhouse and welcome! ~smiles~

Iam so very happy to hear you like the thought of having this as subject for my forum..It will be wonderful to show you my collection of orchids and of course to tell you a bit more about(the care for) orchids in general.

*Hands you a key to the greenhouse* Don't be a stranger and come visit often!

Iam very sure the pretty flowers may be another form of inspiration for some new poems..or just a place to relax and unwind..Orchid flowers sure can set the mind to ease, and who doesn't need that from time to time?

If there is any specific information on orchids you may want to know, considering your location..or if you want to give it a try at home with an orchid let me know...

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 07:42 PM »
Hyias Cookie!

Thanks for visiting my Greenhouse! Of course I will be delighted to give you info and detailed instructions on the care for your first orchids!

Iam sure you will love the change...Orchids come in so many different shapes of flowers, colors and some even have the scent of the most expensive perfumes..only better!

You can wait for instructions on watering and such soon to be posted here...or I can email you instructions especially for the location youre living... Cause it's very important to pick the right orchids, depending on your country..location..type of house...north/south/east/west window and so on, and so on...

After all orchids arent the 5 dollar plants and if you start with it I want you to have a good start...!

Offline daisyxo

• Cat in a Hat
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:51 AM »
I am anxiously awaiting the information.  I've always wanted to know more about orchids. 

A few years back (well, ok, more than a few) ... when I was a teenager ... my mother told me that she had never received an orchid.  She didn't have a chance to go to prom, so she hadn't even received a corsage made of orchids.  The next week I went into a florist shop and found a maroon colored wine goblet.  I asked the florist if she could put an orchid in it and send it to my mom.  A couple days later I came home from school and found my mother crying, holding this beautiful arrangement of orchids in the wine goblet.  I knew it wasn't the same as if she had received it from her boyfriend when she was young, or from my dad (who also happened to be the boyfriend back then, too) ... but, I think it made her happy.  She still has the wine goblet in her china cabinet.

I was lucky enough to receive a wrist corsage for my prom made with baby orchids.  Sigh, such memories  :comfort

oh ... p.s. if you have any information on tulips, pass that along, too please.  My mom had a flower bed full of parrot tulips (they are gorgeous) when we lived in Michigan.  I'm not sure they'd do well in our FL climate though.
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Hello daisy and thanks for visiting my orchid Greenhouse!

Awww what a wonderful story youre telling there about your mom..That's exactly what orchids do with people.They create a special moment when used in corsages, bouquets or just as plants at home...And what a lovely thought of you to surprise your mom, even though it wasnt her prom..nor from her boyfriend, it must have filled her heart with so much joy when she recieved it...

Iam gonna fill this little part of Splash with all the info you can think of concerning orchids..but have to translate alot of info or make it suitable to your USA climate conditions so it will be going bit by bit...

If I understand correctly youre on the west coast of Florida...lucky you! wow! Florida climate is lovely to grow orchids in the garden(Cattleya's and Dendrobiums are perfect for that). You can await the general information Iam put inhere or if you want specifics for your location, let me know.

Will make a little spot for some tulip info just outside the Greenhouse(hope you don't mind Rg giving some extra color to the outside of the Member Personal Boards! lol)

Michigan has the perfect soil and temperatures for tulips...Florida can be quite tricky with the warmth and humidity(rotting of bulbs). The soil is different as well.
I will let you know, let me do some reading on that.

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 12:45 PM »
WOW until I read daisy's story I never gave it much thought, but guess what.  I have never received an orchid either.   I got roses for the prom and any other occasion like it.  I also got a stargazer lily once (my fave flower).

Sooo I am going to be needing to treat myself with an orchid!   *makes a note*  They are gorgeous for sure.

Ohhhh wait...NOT TRUE!  When I was in second grade I had a teacher who grew orchids at home.  Yellow ones she called banana orchids.  Or maybe they just smelled like bananas?  She rotated who got to take an orchid home, and I remember my turn!   I brought it home carefully, then returned it the next day.   *googles banana orchids*
I felt it shelter to speak to you  ~Emily Dickinson

Offline Dutch

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 01:34 PM »
Living in a country that is very well known for its flower markets and exporting of both cut flowers, bulbs and complete plants, I often dont realize that for people living in the USA , getting flowers is not all that normal.
When I send my Missourian friend a bouquet of peach roses when she became 18 she said it where the first flowers she ever got.

What a lovely story elise, and what a GREAT way of your teacher to get the children in contact with orchids and to give them a sense of pride and resposibility to get the taking care of one of her orchids for a day.

Iam sure you did what you wrote and "googled" the Banana Orchid. I did the same and came up with this picture and a little description.Turns out to be the National Flower of The Cayman Islands. It's an orchid I never saw or read about, but with around 30,000 wild species that isn't a big surprise! Looking at the location of The Cayman Islands and reading the desciption, looking at the picture, Iam thinking strongly towards an orchid from the Genus(part of the Orchid Family...will explain in another Topic) Cattleya or Laelia.

Banana Orchid description:

Probably the best known of Cayman's 26 species of orchids is the wild banana orchid, of which there are two varieties: Schomburgkia thomsoniana var. thomsoniana, which originated on Grand Cayman, and Schomburgkia thomsoniana var. minor, which came from Cayman Brac and Little Cayman.
Both varieties have scented flowers with purple lips, although the petals are predominantly white on the Grand Cayman variety, while the Sister Islands' has slightly smaller flowers, with pale yellow petals. The flowers appear at the top of a long curved spike at the bottom of which cluster banana-like pseudo-bulbs that give this orchid its name.    440-0 442-1

Offline LucyLuu

• ~Poetry in Motion~
  • Paragon
  • ~Never Give Up On Your Dreams~
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 10:57 PM »
Hi Pan the Man,   (giggles)

Your greenhouse is coming along nicely and the orchids are absolutely beautiful... I doubt I'll ever get back to Amsterdam so I guess you'll just need to mail me mine.. ehehe.. 

I'll be back to see your lovely collection soon.  Have a great Day!

D
Love like you've never been hurt and Dance like nobody's watching!

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.
Anne Frank

Offline daisyxo

• Cat in a Hat
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 09:09 AM »
Those banana orchids are exquisite ... Oh, I'm on the east coast of FL, Dutch.  We have the most gorgeous sunrise anyone could imagine. 
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

witt

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 10:22 AM »
Now let me put my tongue back into my mouth. Oh, how lovely. My ophthalmologist grows orchids and his office is always full of the most beautiful flowers. I don't do very well with houseplants. There is very little light in the entire house. It was situated that way on purpose when it was built. (I had nothing to do with that!) When I bring things in for the winter, they are ready to give up the ghost by spring.
I will keep coming back here to oooh and aaaah.