Author Topic: Meet Sartor A SplashHall Poet  (Read 3110 times)

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Cat in a Hat
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
Meet Sartor A SplashHall Poet
« on: September 21, 2006, 08:34 AM »
Greetings, to all who read these lines.  Where to begin?  I was born in 1932, in the second story of a rooming house in Nebraska City, Nebraska, because that is where the mid-wife lived.  The great depression was in full swing with soup lines, bank closures and a time when young men would soon be carted off to the CCC camps across America.  Both my parents were simple, uneducated farm people.  We moved from farm to farm, sharecropping our way from Nebraska to Oklahoma to Colorado, to Utah and ended up in Oregon.  Never having attended any school more then one year at a time, sometimes two in a year (and they were mostly one room country schools) I was always the new kid with holes in both shoes and patches on my clothes, so I never made any lasting friendships and also did not receive a decent education.  I hated school and ended up in High School in Hillsboro, Oregon where I dropped out as soon as I was old enough to join the U.S. Navy.

OK…the foregoing was just to let you know where I came from. Self educated for the most part, I have been writing poetry for about as long as I can remember.  It was surely an escape mechanism into a land of Faeries and knights and princes and kings.  For many years I would write poems and then throw them away, because in my circles it was not a manly thing to do.  Not until sometime in the 90s did I began to save some of them.  I always write in rhyme.  I love the lilting lines that are welded together with words that rhyme within the rhythm and the “song” of the poem.  I like to write in the strict confines of the chosen number of feet per line.  I do so enjoy reading Kipling, Bronte, Byron and Rossetti, which are a few of my favorites.  I now boast a fairly large library of poetry, many volumes of which I have picked up in used book stores as well as new editions.  

I find that being involved in SplashHall Poetry Forums keeps me somewhat in touch with the world of poets and I can enjoy all the wonderful poetry that is written here.  This site is such a blessing to would-be poets such as I.  Something I do when reading,, and I do quite a bit of reading, much of it is historical in nature, as I come across a certain line that has an emotional impact on me, I will jot it down and later enter it into a folder named ‘IDEA LINES’.  It is just a place that I can look at for a touch of inspiration and sort of prod my Muses a bit.  My favorite pastimes are poetry, reading, sculpting, dancing and pro-football.

Come meet Sartor at the Spalshhall Poetry Forums and say hi. You can also his recent realsed book "Poetry Of Sartor", written on hard book cover in primarily Victorian verse by contacting Sartor by email Hoagland13@cox.net
Disclaimer: cafeRg could be wrong.

Offline Lady SunShine

• Senior Alley Hostess
  • Awaken Dreamer
    • http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/ladysunshine/Sunshine'World.html
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 08:49 AM »
Hey ya Sartor......I just have to say your book of poetry is fabulous I hope everyone gets the chance to check it out..............I know like me their gonna love it too
I enjoy your style and wisdom in your words you have an incredible talent and I feel lucky to have gotten to know you a bit keep on dancing across the paper with your words
You are a delightful and special unique Poet
Never Let Yesterday's Pain
Ruin Tomorrow's Dreams

Offline Bittersweet

• Paragon
  • Live. Love. Write.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 09:09 AM »
Hi Sartor!!  Hey, you do resemble Sean Connery in that picture.  It's been a pleasure reading your poetry here at Splash.  Your style is unique and timeless.

Offline ceberry

• Cool Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 09:21 AM »
I appreciate your poetic intellect Sartor. I also thoroughly enjoy your style and writing techniques. Your book is a pleasure to own and I for one look forward to each of your new posts.

Offline WordFaery

• Paragon
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 09:35 AM »
Arch,

I also claim the pleasure of having your book in my personal library. And I thank you for allowing me the privilege of being one of the first to hear you read your work.

I always look forward to your lilting posts with pleasure. On more than one occasion something you have written has been enough to persuade the Muse to speak to me.

Marge
"Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame."      W.B. Yeats

Word Faery

witt

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Ah, this was delightful. Thanks for your in-depth description. Wonderful. I had to let my husband read it, and he had to comment that he was the kid that didn't have shoes. He is one of your biggest fans. As Lady S said, "Keep on dancing."
With much love,
Witt

Offline cy street

• Paragon
  • gaetjens' ghost
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 02:12 PM »
senor sartor, as i read of your journey and stare at your beard, i am reminded of sam shepard, willie nelson, neil young, merle haggard and dennis hopper, men of your generation and ilk who are not made for the leisures of "retirement".

i imagine you singing, "twinkle, twinkle little star", your raspy voice, like theirs, raised on the grain, wrought like steel, built to last, nourished on black coffee and stonger spirits.  men of your generation seem to defy age, like nebbiolo in a bottle.  thanks for the inspiration.

i have seen willie play dozens of times.  i saw him recently at the hollywood bowl.  he performed with the los angeles philharmonic for hours in the dessert wind.  i left then, like i do everytime, saying to myself, "when i get there, i want to be going that strong."

senor sartor, welcome to my list of men i would like to be when i grow up.

keep on keeping on,
senor street

postscript:  hopper has an excellent book of photographs with bio sketches he created while on leave from paramount between sixty one and sixty seven i believe.  he grew up in dodge city, and after his dangle with john wayne on the set of giant, he was sent into the desert by paramount.

still on retainer for ten years, he bided his time reflecting on a sea of wheat in kansas.  the book recounts that journey, which reminds of yours.

that lasted until fonda called one day, "i got a million paramount dollars.  i sold em a story, no script,  two motorcyles, you and me,  a road trip, mardi gras."  hopper replied, "all in."
"Disappointing you...is getting me down..."

Offline Sartor

• Paragon
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Sunny..........What a kind and generous note you have written to me.  Thank you for your thoughts.  I suspect that talent is in the eye of the beholder.

Bittersweet.........wel l....I don't think I look much like Sean, but I'll thank you and take the compliment.  Rg stretched the photo top to bottom a little.  The same photo on my book is more realistic looking.  You got the timless part right...lol...my style been around a long, long time.

ceberry....Hi Chuck, thanks for the compliment.  I am enjoying your book also (thanks for sending) and I can see many similarities bewteen our writing.

Wordfaery.........How kind of you Marge, to give this poet such fantastic compliments.  To think any of my writing has given your muse a nudge, gives a pleasure that I savor over and over.

Witt......Thanks for your words.  Tell your mate that even though we grew up poor....we have an insight that all the others do not have.  (its a way of looking at life)  I know you are a football fan also.......so, go Panthers and Goooo Hawks!

Sr. Street De los Saludos.........Thank you for writing in depth to this post.  Willie, Chris, Merel, Hank, Johnny, Waylon........yes, all are well known to me.  Like old friends who I could easily talk with about cold winters and hard times.
Cigarettes, gin and black coffee was a way of life for many years but I wised up and dumped the smokes long ago.  I will see if I can come across Hopper's book of photos.  If I remember rightly. Wayne was not on the set of 'Giant'.  That was Rock Hudson and James Dean.  In fact Dean died in his race car, (Porsche), before the film was finished and they had to plug in a double on the last scenes for him.  Again, thank you for your words.

Adiós Sr. Street, va con el dios.
Our greatest illusion is to think that others see us as we believe ourselves to be.

Offline fragments

• Paragon
    • poetypoem.com/fragments
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 05:47 PM »
Sart,
The thing I have always admired about your work is it's
INTEGRITY. That is the word the floats into my mind as I read one of your poems.

You have a wonderful gift
and know how to use it

always a big fan
Russ

The clouds told him their names, in the quiet of the summer afternoon
Charles Simic from "The World Doesn't End"

Offline ecodelluvia

• Paragon
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 06:21 PM »
Sartor it is a pleasure to meet you and to read about your background.  I much enjoy your style.  Reading your work is a lesson much appreciated.  Cheers and I repeat, great meeting you.

eco
Saore

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Sartor,

A pleasure to find a little more about you and welcome! ':writer:'

Offline Voodoo Child

• Temple Dancer
  • Paragon
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Sartor, you are one of the most talented poets I have ever read. I am very pleased that I have the opportunity to tell you that I have enjoyed every story that you have painted. I wish you much success and happiness on your chosen path.

Cookie
Cookie...

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." John Lennon

Offline Sartor

• Paragon
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 04:29 PM »
Frag........your note is a compliment I am honored to receive.  As always, you have the gift of going straight to the heart of the subject you write about.  Thanks Russ. I appreciate the words.

Eco......My thanks for your kind remarks.  It pleases me that you enjoy my poetry and gain some insight with it.

Kay....the pleasure is all mine, that you read my lines.  Thanks for writing.

Voo....How delighted I am to hear your words.  I have written and posted many poems on the Splash boards.  I appreciate your writing the note and it makes me happy to know you enjoy the poems.  Thanks Cookie.
Our greatest illusion is to think that others see us as we believe ourselves to be.

Offline Allen

• Paragon
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:55 PM »
I was late in greeting you here, but, yet I don't feel too bad about it, because, I know you know the high esteem I hold you in.

I have also read your book, which I absolutely love.  It contains many of the poems which I have liked and commented on, and a few that were not published in Splash.  I note that it has finally been posted on Amazon, and wish you much luck with it there.  I hope that the book receives the publicity that it deserves in all quarters
Allen

An action promulgated out of desperation will inevitably end in tragedy; for as its anagram so aptly foretells:  A rope ends it. �