Author Topic: process or product?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline illiterati

• Willows
process or product?
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:53 PM »
The basic question is something like:

which is more important, the writing process, or the product of the process (finished poems)?

I'm encountering a dilemma I've encountered many times before: after a long dry period, I went into a creative frenzy, and produced material that I was very pleased with. Then, having those products I was pleased with, it became more and more difficult to produce more, in part because my focus has shifted from the writing process to generating more product--yummy poems. And that very shift in focus has produced just a bit of creative paralysis.

so--i'm focusing, right now, on writing very bad poems, as measured by my own subjective sense of what i'm happy with or not. i know the more satisfying writes will come, but there has to be room to screw up, write badly, and take risks.

-matt

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
Re: process or product?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:38 PM »

Good question! When I write, I just start writing on some thought. What process I use is just a stream of thought or flow of thought. The poem or prose just comes out a certain way or format or structure. Then there is the finish product or should I say first draft? Yes first draft. It may be good or may be bad.

Instead of asking what is more important the process or product, I would ask what is the cause (process) and effect (product) of a poem. I am not saying you should ask what is more important, the cause or the effect of a poem. I am just saying I would ask that. Without a cause you won't have an effect. Or the effect will be nothingness.

Disclaimer: cafeRg could be wrong.

Offline illiterati

• Willows
Re: process or product?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07 PM »
right on. so i guess i could ask a little bit more complicated question:

what does process-oriented, versus product-oriented, poetry look like?

so a poem is a product, or an effect. how do we make products that recreate process? or products that speak against their own thingliness/finishedness--products that point away from themselves and back to the processes that created them?

this assumes that there's a fundamental difference between process and product oriented composition. so i guess we could back up a step and ask ourselves something like, what is the difference between process and product oriented writing? what kinds of things happen when i try to write a poem from the perspective of the finished product? what kinds of things happen when i write a poem from the perspective of.... composition itself as a discipline, composition itself as an art?