Author Topic: who do you write for?  (Read 3205 times)

Offline 7

• Paragon
who do you write for?
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:34 PM »
good stuff, you're on a roll
this one could easily be featured in it's own thread

Offline illiterati

• Willows
Re: who do you write for?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:41 PM »
 7 - my own sense of my writing tends to be skewed, in terms of whi h are stronger, which weaker.

i thought this one was a throw-away.

so thanks for the reflection.

-matt

Offline 7

• Paragon
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:50 PM »
my own sense of my writing tends to be skewed, in terms of wh ch are stronger, which weaker.

i thought this one was a throw-away.

It's all so subjective: which poems readers will connect with or just like more than others
It all depends on who you write for, I guess. Who knows—

maybe I just appreciate throw away poetry (see, I even like that phrasing: melodic)
and that's what I think this poems strength is: clever word play and a rhythmic beat

then again, I'm certainly no authority

cliche quote of the day:

"If a man loses pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured, or far away." —Henry David Thoreau

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:30 PM »

sure, it comes down to personal taste.

at the same time, i've always thought that a major way to measure growth is in terms of ability to gauge how the poem will go out into the world, and shape it accordingly --

or really, for me it's much more general than that - it's how one mind makes sense of another, and communication -- jumping across that mutual unintelligibility -- is ridiculously difficult -- for me, that kind of capacity is pretty synonymous with mastery (like, in the sense of mastering a skill or capacity, or even in the sense of a mastering a spiritual discipline, rather than the master-slave sense)

and the only way i can learn about the effects of what happens when i send something out, what kinds of transformations it goes through on its way from my head to yours, is when it's reflected back at me.

so thanks.

-matt

Offline 7

• Paragon
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 09:20 PM »
at the same time, i've always thought that a major way to measure growth is in terms of ability to gauge how the poem will go out into the world, and shape it accordingly --

or really, for me it's much more general than that - it's how one mind makes sense of another, and communication

and the only way i can learn about the effects of what happens when i send something out, what kinds of transformations it goes through on its way from my head to yours, is when it's reflected back at me.

so thanks.

You're quite welcome and I can sure see how feedback would be important to you, with growth/ development and all
but like I said, it all depends on who you're writing for, and I've made the decision, a while ago, to write for myself.

I do like to share with, hopefully, like minded people, who can make that connection and appreciate my writing.
If they do, great— if not, fuck 'em, it wasn't meant for them anyways.

It's hard to find a comfort zone and truly express yourself when you're always writing for them.

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 10:08 PM »

Guys could you all take this debate in an appropriate forum, I think we have about 4 of them for debate discussions. Thank you.

Disclaimer: cafeRg could be wrong.

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:13 PM »

Not much of a debate

But we can move it along

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:37 PM »

I think your correct about that, it just Poem A Day was created, or the idea, was journaling poetry ..the good, bad and ugly

thanks for moving it..

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Huh - well I guess we'd have to specify a little bit more what it means to write "for" someone else, to have an audience in mind, or to be interested in how those other minds in an audience could become intelligible to me, or me to them...

I don't see "writing for myself" as in any way exclusive of "writing for an audience"

I'm always writing for myself. Writing a poem that I've invested in is an end onto itself, a pleasure.

And so then I've enjoyed that, but now maybe I'd like to transmit whatever it was I found in that poem to someone elelse,

And attempting to do that can be an end in itself

And the attempt to understand what happens when it doesn't transmit - to me that's more about wanting to understand something that's different from my own mind, incomprehensible

And at that stage the poem is just a means - what I really want to und

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:42 PM »
No problem - sorry for the hiccup.

Matt.

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:45 PM »
(Cont.)

At that stage, the poem is just a means of exploring reality outside of my own relatively limited head - fishing for reflections

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 10:48 PM »
I like this topic ..who do we write for ..what if the poem was political ..who are we writing for?

To share our ideals and hope for some recognition or maybe validation is a better word. If you are
really only writing for yourself ..there's an app (pun) for that.

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 12:09 AM »
and then there's experimental writing,

or otherwise intentionally opaque writing

that doesn't want to become intelligible to the other mind at all

and doesn't believe the other mind can become intelligible to it

and its only hope

is that the brick of incomprehensibility

can smash the illusion

of mutual recognition

Offline 7

• Paragon
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 11:24 AM »

Not much of a debate

right

at the end of the day, whether struggling with outside perception or not
everyone here is opening their trench coats (in an alley, nonetheless)