Author Topic: Galactic Pimp  (Read 1798 times)

Offline SkaaDee

• Willows
    • SkaaDee
Galactic Pimp
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:23 AM »
Here's a spoken word poem I like.
The video portion is mine.

Galactic Pimp

Offline illiterati

• Willows
Re: Galactic Pimp
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:15 PM »
very cool.

was this a collaboration,

or just something you put together?

i'm always interested in the interface between voice and page. do you have any thoughts on this?

like, is a poem on the page a script, to be read by a voice, or a visual object all on its own, or....

and how does spoken word fit into that picture?

Offline SkaaDee

• Willows
    • SkaaDee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:02 AM »
thanks man!

No collaboration.
She's a well establish spoken word artist, I'm some guy but this "song" is almost nowhere on the internet.
It was an intro to a webcast about spoken word. I really like it.
I hate most spoken word, too much self pity and complaints,  but there are a few lights.
John Survivor Blake has some interesting stuff.

The frustrating thing about youtube is whatever algorithm it uses to upload and convert your wmv file sometimes butchers
the timing of the video (versus audio). It happened in this one in spots.

In terms of word to page, I think it is a script as you say. The "music" between the words is important to me, the way they clang together. I can be entertained with almost no real content.

Have you ever noticed when you are tired or impatient you can't read poetry? Then you come back in a ready mode and the poem comes alive. The thing is, I read aloud poems on the page even if just inside my own head.  The line breaks and look of the poem are aids for the reader in what the poet had in mind.

I would like to do an experiment some day. Give a poem to three different poets and have them create mp3s, and then compare.
Champage Shoes once did a brilliant reading of one of my poems. But then again, she could do a brilliant reading of the manual for a Black and Decker chain saw. 

Of course, so called Concrete Poetry can't be easily lifted from the page with the voice. Like your poem "dear words,".

What are your thoughts?
Do you have any readings on the internet?

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:11 AM »
have you thought of sending it to her directly?

couldn't hurt to try.

i'm really not sure what i think about voice and page. post-structuralist academic dogma (at least here at u of m) is that the idea of "voice" is an illusion generated by various kinds of poetic devices on the page. (don't ever let anyone tell you that the academy's mission is "freedom of inquiry")

in other words, you're going to get disparaging looks if you ever talk about "voice" without the quotation marks.

on the other hand, i almost always queue my poems to voice - that is, in my personal writing, i do tend to write as a script -- i even "hear" punctuation, what a dash should sound like, what two line breaks rather than one should sound like, etc.

and yet my experience is that the way i'm hearing a poem scripted in my head is much, much different than what another reader imagines.

yes - we could get some interesting exercises going here.

like, take a poem - maybe something difficult to read, like a concrete poem - and have one poet create an mp3.

and then, without the second poet seeing the original text on a page, have the next person turn the mp3 back into a script.

is that clear?

or we could do lots of variations of something along those lines.

as to readings on the internet, the most extreme example i can think of is steve mccaffery's "carnival."

the "text" to the "poem" is posted here in experimental, as well as a video of steve performing it.

it might be worthwhile to take a look at the crazy, schizophrenic images of the text and compare them with his reading.

just for kicks.

-matt

Offline SkaaDee

• Willows
    • SkaaDee
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:29 AM »
but aren't you reading a poem inside your head? This is interesting. Maybe I'm different? I've never really asked someone this before.
when I read a poem, it's an imagination of an oral reading. Inner dialog. hmmm.

as for "voice", doesn't that have a totally different meaning in regards to writing, as in WHAT the poet says as well as how. content? when people say, he found his voice.

I'd send Day Acoli the video, but I'd be afraid she would think I'm stalking her. :)
Besides, all the photos are stolen. :)
maybe it will show up for her someday on an ego surf.

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:15 PM »

yes, i also look at it as writing a script, reading it in my head - i'm just saying it's theoretically passé to think about it in that way. but i still do.

and i think you're on to the... illusion or idea of voice

as you say, think of the degree to which a person's entire body of work, their style, everything they write and have written,

relies on the idea of "their voice"

so i guess i can see both sides of it.

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 03:50 PM »

skaadee -

if you want to do some kind of "voice to page to voice" exercise here,

let me know. i'll participate if you want to get the ball rolling,

or just say the word and i can take the first step.

-matt

Offline SkaaDee

• Willows
    • SkaaDee
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:29 AM »

do you have a Youtube channel?
maybe we can create a video of your poem "dear words,"

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 12:06 PM »
sure, i can post it and send you a link.

i was also thinking: i want to see how to take this page/voice split and turn it into a way of making new poems.

so, i take a poem with weird visual elements -- one youve never seen before, snd read it aliud. you take the recording and transcribe it onto the page, arriving at a new poem.

then if we wanted to keep going, you read and record that new poem nefore ive seen wphat it looks like on the page, and then i transcribe it.

and so on -

so we move from this interesting qiestion about voice and text to a way of generating new poems.

also a creative way of exploring and thinking about the question itself.

matt

Offline SkaaDee

• Willows
    • SkaaDee
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:28 AM »
sure