Author Topic: What Role Should a Poetry Board Have with its Members?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
Re: What Role Should a Poetry Board Have with its Members?
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 03:35 PM »
Witt,

I'm glad you posted this. I think that sums up "roles" of a board.
I can't speak for others, but I avoid work these days  :rose

the post really does cover everything so if it's already doing that then I guess we can all relax.

Here is an old mission statement that I found in my "Splash" folder. (I see that I have a lot of them scattered here and there in my documents!)

Tin Roof Alley Poets believe in interacting and sharing poetry with like-minded people, who encourage and support each other to improve our writings. Because there is a wide variety of styles and a wide expanse of education and talent, we encourage learning, teaching, sharing, and growing. The Tin Roof Alley Forum promotes contests, challenges, and games to stimulate creativity.
Mostly, we are a family who collectively enjoys poetry, and individually bring our own talents and creativity to the forum. We seek to provide a place where poets can celebrate the language through poetic imagination. Friendship and respect reigns here in our home, The Tin Roof Alley.
We seek to provide a place where poets can celebrate the language through poetic imagination.

I feel that we do those things. I think the forum should be fun, not work.

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Okay see, I do not LIKE to critique.  It IS work for me.  Lots enjoy it, so why not leave it to them?   As Kay said earlier somewhere, there is enough to do here for everyone.   

We all have different roles...and I guess the roles are defined by ourselves.  I don't need the stress of feeling "required" to critique.   All I usually know about a poem is how that poem makes me feel, or if I even "get it".    I don't want someone critiqueing my poem because they think they have to.   Some really truly ENJOY the critique.  Those are the ones I hope will help with mine.   If nobody responded...I would move on.  I find that I get PLENTY of help in there, and from people who truly enjoy it.

So I guess I need to agree with Witt here.   I am here to SHARE the love of poetry and my family here, and to help in any way I can that this continues.     
I felt it shelter to speak to you  ~Emily Dickinson

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 03:42 PM »
I think we're trying to fix something that isn't broke.  :dblu

Okay see, I do not LIKE to critique.  It IS work for me.  Lots enjoy it, so why not leave it to them?   As Kay said earlier somewhere, there is enough to do here for everyone.   

We all have different roles...and I guess the roles are defined by ourselves.  I don't need the stress of feeling "required" to critique.   All I usually know about a poem is how that poem makes me feel, or if I even "get it".    I don't want someone critiqueing my poem because they think they have to.   Some really truly ENJOY the critique.  Those are the ones I hope will help with mine.   If nobody responded...I would move on.  I find that I get PLENTY of help in there, and from people who truly enjoy it.

So I guess I need to agree with Witt here.   I am here to SHARE the love of poetry and my family here, and to help in any way I can that this continues.     

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 03:53 PM »

yes, i mean ultimately it's fine.

it's just strange to me that none of the staff seem to be really invested in the AX.

and you did have to be poked a little bit to join in on this conversation.

i'm not saying, i'm just saying.

-matt

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 03:56 PM »

insular is the word i'm looking for

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 04:03 PM »
-bites my lip really hard.

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 04:03 PM »

-smiles very sweetly

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 04:04 PM »
No more poking please...I had my say.

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 04:06 PM »

fair enough. i can be done.

i do want to be clear that i appreciate the alley and its staff.

so, take this all with a grain of salt.

witt

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 04:07 PM »

yes, i mean ultimately it's fine.

it's just strange to me that none of the staff seem to be really invested in the AX.

and you did have to be poked a little bit to join in on this conversation.

i'm not saying, i'm just saying.

-matt

Who had to be "poked a little bit?"

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 04:08 PM »

i told elise i'd drop it.

so i will.

-matt

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 04:14 PM »

and i do want to point out the way in which this dialogue has created just a touch of a flurry

of guests and users and such

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Cat in a Hat
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 04:51 PM »
no ..nothing is broken nor is anyone doing anything wrong.

Remember that old bulky dial phone, they worked just fine but
they have been improved to push button, now touch. Almost
everything in your life as been improved. Why not poetry boards?

Poetry is evolving as are poetry boards and that's the goal here.
I need "everyone's" insights. The improvements will be subtle in
vision but large in scope. Not changes but improvements.

There's always room for improvement and innovations.
Disclaimer: cafeRg could be wrong.

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
  • who finds a faithful friend finds a treasure
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 09:26 AM »
I agree, nothing is broke!

I've been tossing the comments in this thread around and I think it is difficult to know the hosts, hostesses and long term members from a few weeks of reading us. I don't know about the rest of the crew, but I sure am an unpaid volunteer.  :tongue  Are you guys holding out on me? As the unpaid help I reserve the right to not be pressured thank you very much. Just to encourage, help and enjoy the poetry and the company and the interesting things that pop up along the way.  wink*

Oh and I don't venture into the Ax to actually critique, there are others who have far more insight than I do into critiquing.  If I do make a comment I can guarantee I didn't set out to, it was spontaneous.  I make no secret of this, never have and make no apologies either. I can see genuinely good reasons for asking for help in the Ax, absolutely so. I can also say I vehemently dislike seeing people rewrite other peoples poems. If ya want to write, write your own, offer help but not a rewrite. (this opinion is not endorsed by the management, purely in my head)

I love the Alley, it's my home away from home... and it's the best to see well known members returning and you new guys as well. And if I have taken my time to join in it's not because I'm aloof, but I do like to know what I'm getting into before I jump in...cos 'loose lips sink ships'.

hugs
:angel:

Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~  Ira Gassen