Author Topic: How To Write An Award Winning Poem In Just 5 Minutes - Grant Flint  (Read 8407 times)

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
How To Write An Award Winning Poem in Just 5 Minutes
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
I listened to this and found it interesting.

well, if he's right, we might as well shut down the critique forum and buy an alarm clock  :rose

Offline illiterati

• Willows
i mean first of all this is a terrible poem he reads, as far as i can tell. second of all it's hardly random. if i'm writing a truly random poem it reads something like:

gourd flops meandering rimy mariner skittles
on top of moon-milk echelon burrowing kine of
small-swamp elderberries bourbon zimmerman's
roadhouse smattering zoomba.

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
My initial thought upon hearing this was to transcribe it and turn his speech - tirade - philosophy into a poem myself. As a joke. But that would be plagiarism...wouldn't it? If this is what 'Modern' Poetry is and if this is what the 'Critics' are expecting, it's no wonder I've only been successful at publishing a single poem - let alone won an award for one. Cause I don't write like that and I don't know anyone who does.
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
Mystic, I don't know. I mean, I've had poems published in two newspapers, 3 books, and some ezines, you know, nothing on the 5:00 news. But I worked hard on them to get them there. (I thought) when I listened to this guy I wanted to hit him (kidding) and then those  people laughing in the background. I do believe in writing freely, you know, thoughts and whatever but then he says don't rewrite. and I'm thinking don't rewrite? Ok, so who is going to argue with someone like Mary Oliver who said in her poetry handbook that its' not uncommon for her to work on the same poem 50X or more. I guess like you said, it's a different venue.
(I don't really know what a poetry award is but then I never win anything so---- :kool

My initial thought upon hearing this was to transcribe it and turn his speech - tirade - philosophy into a poem myself. As a joke. But that would be plagiarism...wouldn't it? If this is what 'Modern' Poetry is and if this is what the 'Critics' are expecting, it's no wonder I've only been successful at publishing a single poem - let alone won an award for one. Cause I don't write like that and I don't know anyone who does.

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
Kay,

I started listening to him and began to expect 'something', I wasn't sure exactly what, mind. But then, I got to wondering if maybe the entire piece, as a whole, were some long, drawn out joke, or weak attempt at satire...surely he couldn't be serious? I no longer agonize over my poetry the way I used to. I do some free association, but nothing like what he suggests - the only thing I can write in under five minutes is a haiku. (and often times I still rewrite those, sometimes a dozen times over.) I've got a piece I've been working on for about two weeks - I think it's finished, but who can tell? Even poems I wrote years ago I go back to and sometimes rework them. I posted this here thinking it might be a 'fun' exercise just to see what you get if you actually follow his 'technique', but I haven't attempted it yet. Seems a bit overcomplicated for a five minute exercise, don't you think?  :tongue (Besides, I don't even own an alarm clock for a start)

Offline illiterati

• Willows
the following poem was spoken into a tape recorder while on the road to wichita.

the "click" of the recorder coming on or off is represented with a line break.

no editing.

that's ginsberg's self-mythology of it, at least:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Ej9alohKAWMkVQQ0huakN1S3c/edit

Offline 7

• Paragon
"these poems that I have written over all these years were all written that way, they're foreign to me.
I don't pay much attention to them, they have no meaning to me after they're done."

"that was three or four years ago when I could still get an erection."

and there you have it ladies and gentlemen—
a decaying, flaccid, king of the living room, tool bag who doesn't give a shit about poetry. nice

sidebar:
someone needs to falcon punch that cackling hyena in the background. talk about annoying

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
I can sure relate to this feeling. I have come to enjoy the haiku for so many reasons. Over the years, poetry had become work
and I got to the point where I thought, you know, why are you killing yourself trying to prove you can do this? Now, I just write as the spirit moves or whatever and have fun with it. Life is too short and I'm retired now anyway.  No more work and that means 3 minute homework assignment. I do enter a chapbook contest once a year and I love writing poetry but I'm not terribly worried about awards or making a name for myself. The odds of that happening are about the same as winning some kind of lottery, I guess.

thanks, Mystic. fun video and thread.

Kay,

I started listening to him and began to expect 'something', I wasn't sure exactly what, mind. But then, I got to wondering if maybe the entire piece, as a whole, were some long, drawn out joke, or weak attempt at satire...surely he couldn't be serious? I no longer agonize over my poetry the way I used to. I do some free association, but nothing like what he suggests - the only thing I can write in under five minutes is a haiku. (and often times I still rewrite those, sometimes a dozen times over.) I've got a piece I've been working on for about two weeks - I think it's finished, but who can tell? Even poems I wrote years ago I go back to and sometimes rework them. I posted this here thinking it might be a 'fun' exercise just to see what you get if you actually follow his 'technique', but I haven't attempted it yet. Seems a bit overcomplicated for a five minute exercise, don't you think?  :tongue (Besides, I don't even own an alarm clock for a start)

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
"A dog can never tell you what she knows from the smells of the world, but you know, watching her, that you know almost nothing." — Mary Oliver

And, sadly, the more we learn the less we are inclined to admit there may still be something we don't know - even and especially, about ourselves. Glad you enjoyed it, Kay.

7 sidebar:
someone needs to falcon punch that cackling hyena in the background. talk about annoying

I agree wholeheartedly. Perhaps we could hold him down and allow Kay to kick him until he discovers the Truth of his unconscious Self - and writes a horrible poem about the experience.

Offline seraph

• Paragon
  • Life is either a great adventure or nothing. HK
Re: How To Write An Award Winning Poem In Just 5 Minutes - Grant Flint
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:30 AM »
I shot the sheriff but I did not shoot the deputy.

now that is poetry.

Amusing at best.

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 03:48 AM »
     Yes, Bob Marley......old song.....have not thought of that in years

I shot the sheriff but I did not shoot the deputy.

now that is poetry.

Amusing at best.

Offline illiterati

• Willows
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 02:13 PM »
The prologue to a.rawlings Wide Slumber for Lepidopterists

http://media.sas.upenn.edu/pennsound/authors/Rawlings/rawlings-a_Prologue_17Feb07.mp3

Offline dublinsteve

• Paragon
    • http://thedisgruntledwriter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 03:44 PM »
This is just plumb goofy.