Author Topic: Mealtime: A Prose Poem (an ekphrastic poem)  (Read 1825 times)

Offline eileenonguam

• Cool Cat
Mealtime: A Prose Poem (an ekphrastic poem)
« on: June 07, 2011, 01:30 PM »
On a Monday evening in April, I ponder Van Gogh�s �The Potato Eaters� as they, in their dark hovel of a home, ponder a platter of potatoes.  Their eyes glaze over at this monotonous meal of plain, peeled boiled potatoes eaten morning, midday, evening; washed down with mugs of warm ale.  When they sleep, the peasants will dream of a red-headed, bearded man painting joyously in the brilliant sun, where he has come out of the dark into a rainbow of colors.  Though he will live in a yellow house, they know he will remember them, that he once lived among them in his own bleak hovel and painted them lovingly in their humble home eating potatoes.
"and at my back I always hear time's wingéd chariot hurrying near..."
                                                                                           -Andrew Marvel

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
Re: Mealtime: A Prose Poem (an ekphrastic poem)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:01 PM »
quite an interesting thought - to be painted as a remembrance.  The yellow house is cool - sounds like a great title for a poem of its own.
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline Eileen Benavente-Blas

• Alley Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:56 AM »
Thanks, Daisy. I agree about the yellow house as a poem too. :kool

witt

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:31 AM »
I enjoyed this piece. Well done. I remember years ago, I had my students write a paragraph on this same painting. Hmmmm. They didn't do quite as well as you.  wink*