Author Topic: [UPDATED] Help Us Grow  (Read 40853 times)

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
Re: [UPDATED] Help Us Grow
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 07:47 AM »
My answers will echo some of what has been mentioned before, truth nonetheless

1. I haven't been on here because, frankly, I have no energy. I've been working 80-hour workweeks for over a year and a half now, plus everything else that normal people do - laundry, cooking, sleeping, etc. I have been writing poems, and I've lost a lot of what I've written around New Year when I ended up needing to format my computer. 'nuff said.
Our sharp Ax has become a kissy-box of sorts, or a display cage where completed poems arrive and are vociferously defended. Like WF, I miss the times when the Ax was hopping and filled its purpose, but change probably comes in cycles, like my biannual return to these boards :P

2. I am a member at a few other poetry sites, and whether its stranger anxiety that keeps me out of their crit forums or the brash arrogance that is displayed there, I can't tell. A couple of the other sites involve a lot of ego-stroking, and superficial appreciation, and the more I see and learn I'm less inclined to either of the two. I keep returning to the Alley, and I have been returning since 2006. I grew up here, on these pages. What else can a wild child do?
That said, I would add nominations for the IBPC - we don't seem to have enough participation there. If as a member I read a poem I think is worthy of entering, I might nominate that poem for the competition, and once the poet consents, we could do the rest. How we'd keep track, I don't know yet, but its an idea. Maybe that kind of participation would bring the "famous names" to us, and increase interest in the art we're trying to celebrate?

3. Again, my day job has crazy hours so no energy or interest in live poetry reads. What would be lovely instead would be people reading each other's poems. It would be interesting, as a poet/writer, to see how someone else interprets my thoughts and words, line breaks, inflections and intentions. Maybe mp3 files, maybe a weekly feature? Something that one could listen to at any time, without the limitations of time zones and DST.
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Hi Kay

Sure is good to see you around the Alley. I agree arguing and name calling is not what this community is about. Its about Creativity and Poetry. Hopefully, we have a handle on that now. And unlike the past, I think all will agree we will nip it at the bud.

I am not sure I follow your thoughts here .."Most boards offer a place to showcase your accomplishment, no strings necessary to that board. Most will give appreciation if a poem was workshopped on a board. I know I have many, many times. If we have that, I missed it."..

As for a place for personal showcase, wouldnt the Market Street Shops serve this? As for the rest of the above statement could you elaborate a little more for me, please?

It may also be of interest to everyone we will have a couple new features coming soon sharing even more recognition to individual members for their achievements and activity.

Thank you for your support, Kay.

Disclaimer: cafeRg could be wrong.

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Hi Arti

errr ..whats uP Doc?  *hic*

Its always good seeing you sliding down these Tin Roofs. Our prodigy paparazzi without borders.

I agree with you, I think the AX needs a whip snapping revival and get it back up to the level it was once famous for. It will take each of us as a community, help to do this. Speaking of Word Farey (WF) ..tell her to come home.

I am not sure I understand your suggestions for the IBPC competitions? I think am with you, it would be nice to see more poems entered. But as far as submitting to the IBPC for final judging ..due to growth of the IBPC, each poetry board is limited to (2) two entries each month. If the interest was there, perhaps we could offer a Tin Roof Second Chance Competition. Details would have to be worked out and of course a good variety of poems each month. Maybe,  just as an idea, the Winner each month could be one of the two to be sent on to the IBPC the following month. Spread da word and lets get some feedback on this?

I like your idea of Audio Poetry (MP3), poets could read their poems in addition to typing them here. We do offer Video Poetry now. They could upon consent of the copy holder they could also read each others and post them in an audio section of the Electric Muffin ( Tin Roof). The audio poems could be uploaded to places like SoundCloud (a free service) then the stream URL could be posted here. The same we do Videos like YouTube.

Thanks SW and let me know your thoughts on this?

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Of course, the Market Street Shops. That answers that question nicely, Thanks Rg. I should have known that! All I meant by the statement was, there were quite a number of times in the past when I and others were posting accomplishments and it kind of was strongly suggested (by you) to give credit in some manner to this board. That's all I meant. That was a few years ago though and probably has nothing to do with what's going on now.
It's a totally honest and direct answer to your question and I hope its not getting off on a subject no one really cares about, but I just felt the questions deserved total honest answers.

Offline noirjente

• Cool Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 11:20 PM »
Hi Cool Cats ..we need to grow or should I say become more active on the boards here. Please take a moment to answer the following questions..

UPDATED! One of our Cool Cats suggested we ask the following questions more specifically. Thank you for your insight and suggestion. Your input is valued.

1.  As a member, tell us why haven't you been posting any poems or critiques?

2.    As a member, what features found at other poetry sites, forums, or   workshops would you like to see included here at the The Alley?

3. As a   member, are you interested in live poetry reads?   If you are   interested in attending live poetry readings, list the days of the week   and times of those days when you would be available to participate in   live poetry reads.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our little survey. We look forward to hearing your suggestions and thoughts.

Happy New Year  *party*

1) Havent had time. But I'm sure some folks would rather I did not anyway so it works out best for all involved.

2) A delete post feature.

3) I can make pretty much any evening later in the week (Wed., Thurs., Fri). I read poetry all the time on several different radio shows as well as local venues. But I've avoided Yak chat based on some of the things that have transpired here when I've posted some of my work. Believe it or not, I'm pretty easy going and prefer things that way, both for myself and others.

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56 PM »
@ Kay ..aha ..I see what your saying ..hopefully your experience here is much better this time around.

@ Noirjete ..thanks for participating. I have seen your amazing talent here at The Alley. Sorry for the delete option. Past experience has shown it can become a problem esp when other members take the time comment. If you need a post deleted just ask as moderator and if appropriate, they will be happy to assist you.

As for Live Poetry Reads/Chat ..if there is interest maybe we could also have a second read in Skype. Something to consider?

:beatnik

Offline WordFaery

• Paragon
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 02:48 AM »
Who says I left?

WF
"Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame."      W.B. Yeats

Word Faery

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Holy Flying Tuna! WF is in da house  *clap*

Offline dublinsteve

• Paragon
    • http://thedisgruntledwriter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 02:26 AM »
I think there is simply too much going on, too many options within the forum, too much fragmentation.  You could get rid of half and be stronger.

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 07:19 PM »
I tend to agree with you, Steve.

So I pose this question to everyone. If we were to tuck away half of the categories/forums, which should we continue to display?

Offline BeauBlue

• Tin Pan Cat
    • http://www.cruziocafe.com
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 10:31 PM »
I tend to agree with you, Steve.

So I pose this question to everyone. If we were to tuck away half of the categories/forums, which should we continue to display?

So, I just noticed this ... and I guess people are into the 'planning' stages of some kind of a revamp? And I'm wondering who is involved with making these decisions.

The bean counters of the world will start by totaling up the number of posts & topics the different forums generate and the traffic activity each 'interest' is responsible for .. and take whatever 'appropriate' steps these numbers recommend. Those of us into video are doomed. And that's too bad. There are too few venues now. It's a fight to find places to showcase the work. Most lit pubs are just now getting to online. Emulating paper pubs while sitting on the extra methods available, they're just happy to have inexpensive full-color for their covers, they haven't even begun to think about the extra power of an audio/visual  section. Sure, they're beginning to add some audio. Really slowly tho'. And forget about video, there's less than half a dozen lit pubs that present vids. So if this place follows the bean counters, the luddites and the technophobes it'll take a giant step backward. But the forums aren't for showcasing, huh? And guys like me? Where do we go from here?

-blue

<<>><><>
"You mean .. there are lines?" --Beau Blue <><<>><>

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
  • who finds a faithful friend finds a treasure
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 11:37 PM »

Beau, I hope no one is going to pack the Video board away...it's a valuable section of this forum. :)
Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~  Ira Gassen

witt

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 11:39 AM »
I don't think that you have to worry about deleting this section.

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 01:43 PM »
No worries BeauBlue, Multi Media is here to stay. We are giving the task of trimming to Congress. And as you know, those dudes don't know how to count and takes them forever to do anything  *beer* *beer*