Author Topic: [UPDATED] Help Us Grow  (Read 40857 times)

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
[UPDATED] Help Us Grow
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Hi Cool Cats ..we need to grow or should I say become more active on the boards here. Please take a moment to answer the following questions..

UPDATED! One of our Cool Cats suggested we ask the following questions more specifically. Thank you for your insight and suggestion. Your input is valued.

1.  As a member, tell us why haven't you been posting any poems or critiques?

2.    As a member, what features found at other poetry sites, forums, or   workshops would you like to see included here at the The Alley?

3. As a   member, are you interested in live poetry reads?   If you are   interested in attending live poetry readings, list the days of the week   and times of those days when you would be available to participate in   live poetry reads.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our little survey. We look forward to hearing your suggestions and thoughts.

Happy New Year  *party*
Disclaimer: cafeRg could be wrong.

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
  • who finds a faithful friend finds a treasure
Re: [UPDATED] Help Us Grow
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:00 PM »

Hi Rg, answers to three little questions...

1.  I have been posting Haiku's and I haven't yet finished some poems I've been working on, but I have been commenting
 if not prolifically, I have been doing so. I don't critique in the Axe, I don't venture into the Axe unless forced...nu uh!  :tongue

2.  I don't very often go to other poetry forums, I don't have a membership at any other place like the Alley and haven't
for the longest time.  Do other forums have anything better than us????? Wish the guests that visit here could leave comments
on this, they probably visit lots of other forums.

3.  I'm definitely keen to see more people at the live poetry readings and it's a bit tricky to give days that suit me, cos I'm
on the other side of the planet, but I would do my best to attend more live readings.

:angel:
Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~  Ira Gassen

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:11 PM »

so, I've decided to visit other poetry forums and see what there is to see...if I find anything interesting I'll
certainly bring information back here
Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~  Ira Gassen

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:29 PM »
1) I post as time allows. I've been both ill and busy lately. I don't visit other sites for the same reason.
As to poems, I seem to have lost my mojo to my interest in history.

As far as critiques, let me be bluntly honest. I rarely do it because I bring a prospective that historically is supposed to remain invisible. On the occasion that I post that prospective I seem the get a lot of 'that's whack' types of responses rather than a thoughtfull consideration of the fact that we don't live in a one thought one experience world. Now I'm a big boy and I'm certainly used to that kind of short sightedness, but it does cause quite a stir on these boards at times and it seems I'm chided for doing that rather than having an honest examination of the differences.
None of this means I'm going to quit posting my prospective, I'm just answering the question.

2)I used to participate in live reads back on the old Excite Boards, but can't find the time now. I did try to D/L Yak and couldn't get it to work. Most likely due to my unique computer skills.

Beyond the questions, I think this is a great forum. The participation ebbs and flows, I suspect, with time constraints and cycles of interest tied into each individual's daily life. I'm not sure how one compensates for that
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline Bill

• Paragon
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:07 AM »
CafeRg,

1.)  I no longer see any value in posting in the AX.  We seem to be a forum whose primary purpose is community, not constructive criticism.  Most feel that either they will have their feelings hurt, or hurt someone else's feelings, if weaknesses in meter, rhyme, or sound and/or extended metaphor, line breaks and the like  are pointed out.  We write, first to please ourselves, then in the hope of inspiring others, or, at least, connecting to others.  As Witt has reminded me, if you post in the  AX, it is because you believe the poem to have weaknesses, but are unable either to  detect them or correct them on your own.  You don't post what you believe to be finished products in the AX.  However, because some see it as the most oft visited page of this site, they post there, not for criticism, but merely for the sake of getting more views. Sometimes I wonder if a given individual isn't "hitting" on his poem himself to gin up interest.  I haven't posted in other categories  recently, because the comments usually are a reflection of the kindness of the reader than the quality of the poem.  I don't want to loose my edge to compliments that might be heartfelt, but dull a drive towards better workmanship.  I'm as prone to preen as anyone else.  Iron, not feathers, sharpens iron.

2.)  I only visit one other site with any degree of regularity.  I find the site administrators to be arrogant, rude, and  condescending.  However, one of the great features of the site is a long list of references of books on how to write poetry, of published works of successful writers, blurbs of wisdom regarding how to avoid abstracts, an overabundance of modifiers, proper syntaz and grammar in respect to writing according to current modern poetry standards, and the like.  Establishing such a reference page in T.R.A.P. might be useful for all of us.

3.)  I'd like to participate in more live reads, but  the time zone differences impact on my ability to do so.  By the time I'm able to hook up, the others are ready to call it a night.  If we use EST as the baseline, then then 4pm est Saturdays, or 10pm EST Sundays, or Noon Est Saturdays might work better for me.  But 9pm EST is 6pm here on nights when I have to take out the garbage or sit down to table talks.  (Daylight savings time plays a role, admittedly.)

This is a good site.  Being here has motivated me to increase my production, nearly double what it was before I became a member, but I'm not sure that the quality haskept up with the quantity.

My two cents.

Regards,
Bill

Offline plump comfort

• Alley Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 02:46 AM »
This site moved and I couldn't find it very quickly.
So, I post at Fictionnaut, MiPo and sometimes Litkicks.  I actually like the format here, it's old- fashioned.

Offline WordFaery

• Paragon
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:08 AM »
1.  I've been very occupied with the intrusions of life. I'm working on a collection of poetry for a chapbook (perhaps two) and have cultivated relationships with writers in my community who have been very gracious with their time and have shared their experience. Since I've been getting that level of assistance from them, I haven't felt the need to post work in the Ax.

I remember the days when you could get at least four solid but differing opinions on a poem in the Ax. As Bill stated, the Ax is for crit. If you want to showcase your work, get a room.

2.  I used to belong to lots of forums. Some forums I couldn't stand to be involved with because of attitudes. Other forums I feel that I  outgrew.  Tin Roof is the only one I kept.

3. As for the Yak readings, I haven't tried them.  I prefer to be physically present at a reading where I can watch the speaker and the audience and take in their responses to the words.

JMO

WordFaery
"Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame."      W.B. Yeats

Word Faery

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for you valued thoughts and suggestions. If you have a Facebook, Twitter or other Social Media, please share this discussion/link with others. http://www.tinroofalleypoets.org/poetry_boards/index.php/topic,16430.msg120399.html the more input and insight we have the better we can improve.

Also, as Plump mentioned, we changed our name and internet address (URL). I am sure lots of people still search for us as SplashHall. If you have a blog or other poetry site ..please add our New link http://www.tinroofalleypoets.org/poetry_boards to it.

If you have more suggestions to add please do so. Your voice is very important to our success.

:beatnik

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Great input - it's good to see what's on everybody's mind .... I have been absent a lot, and although I miss this, things in my life have changed my online habits.  I don't go to other poetry forums, but I also haven't been writing.  The Alley is my home, and this is where I always want to return to.
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline cappy

• Cheshire Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Hi Cool Cats ..we need to grow or should I say become more active on the boards here. Please take a moment to answer the following questions..

UPDATED! One of our Cool Cats suggested we ask the following questions more specifically. Thank you for your insight and suggestion. Your input is valued.

1.  As a member, tell us why haven't you been posting any poems or critiques?

I enjoy reading what people produce. As for myself, I am not a poet. I have no talent in that regard. I am more of a commentator based on facts and not supposition. Based on law and not, often misled, public opinion.

I had some real time constraints that kept me from posting. However since I have now retired maybe I could participate more often.

But I know what I like when I read it. That keeps me happy.

2.    As a member, what features found at other poetry sites, forums, or   workshops would you like to see included here at the The Alley?
I have belonged to other sites in the not so distant past. I find that this forum has no rivals. It is complete, inclusive and has many different areas for individuals to post.

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 06:21 PM »
 *hug*  and  :sweetkiss  to Daisy

Cappy so good to see you and hear from you. Thank you for your kind words. As far as being a "talented poet" ..I am not sure what that is or claims to make the rules. Whether its from your heart or passing thoughts in your mind ..it is considered to be poetry or pose ..organize it as you "feel" fit. The transfer of words to paper.

Look at me a poet I aint and I know it. Just bring it.

:beatnik

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 03:35 AM »

Rg, I've looked at a few other poetry forums and to be honest I don't know what they have that's
better or more enticing than us. They have more activity amongst their members it seems, a few
more members that have well known names as IBPC winners...nothing that would draw me away
from here though.

We have a large number of guests visiting our boards. We have guests all through the night when
the lights are out across the States. I haven't noticed that so much on other Forums.
We must be doing some things right.

your sometimes spy,
Halo  :tongue

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Halo, Thank you for your covert operations. This is good to know. I guess we just need to create more guest and member participation.

I am working on some of that [classified stuff] ..looks around for that Julian Assange guy :banditx

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 09:56 PM »
1) For me, a combination of burn out,
I think I 'm at a crossroads and its not the board so much
as it is my own personal happenstance.
But I also tend to avoid places where there is intense arguing,
and I've read some really mean personal attacks here over the years ( I have to be honest) that's been the case
I just grew tired of dodging it.
You feel like saying, take a phone number and settle it so the rest of us can write in peace.

2) Most boards offer a place to showcase your accomplishment,
no strings necessary to that board. Most will give appreciation
if a poem was workshopped on a board. I know I have many,
many times. If we have that, I missed it. This board has a lot so I really don't think its lacking in variety.

3) I don't really any interest in live poetry reads since I don't go out
much and would not find myself in that kind of group setting.
I guess I am a recluse most of the time although I travel a lot.
Guess I'm a paradox.

hope that helps and I didn't offend.