Author Topic: haiku for the dead  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Soft Words

• Shoppe Keeper
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
haiku for the dead
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Just before dying
you were eggplant purple blue
far beyond repair

your breath sobbed out
I couldn't tell the difference
it made to your eyes

were they hazel or
the broken-down Barbie blue
of your mother's gene?

I avoid blue sheets
that remind me of blankets
we signed for you.

We should meet after
you've lived in her heart awhile;
wonder who you'll be.
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
  • who finds a faithful friend finds a treasure
Re: haiku for the dead
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41 PM »

The things you see and feel in your profession would cripple me. You have a calling Dr. Arti.

I guess this is the point of everything, when we are no more on this planet, do we live in
someones heart...

Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~  Ira Gassen

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:49 AM »
It's a difficult thing to have to deal with death as a routine part of your day. I know, I've had to do it. One is trained to be impersonal, but it just doesn't work that way all the time. One is touched by it being a certain person or a child.
I feel for you Dr. Arti. Though you seem to have a handle on how to express these feelings that's so unfamiliar to a lot of people, I can feel the heart tugs you endure.  Keep up the good work in helping those you can.
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline Marsupial Man

• Paragon
    • Marsupial Man (minimal thought)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:58 AM »
I experienced a moment of silence after reading this.
Very well written. Powerful.

Take care,

Paul

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Arti,

This is moving. I confess that I don't really know what your profession is, but the thread gives me some insight.

Offline Soft Words

• Shoppe Keeper
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Berenice, yes, what I do is my vocation, a calling louder than any I have felt - until now, anyways. I'm blessed to be doing what I love, though there are moments when I wish it could have been something easier.

Earl, I work with all kinds of people, all ages and types, except pregnant women. I agree, the kids that die pointlessly hit harder than the rest. The ones that are Mine, hit harder too. Sometimes, its just hard to let go. Period.

Paul, he was adowabble. Or would have been, had he not been so freakin' banged up. And then he had the temerity to try dying, and we had the brilliant idea to finally let him go. Finally. After twenty drawn out days of blue blankets and blue episodes and blue alarms and blue eyes full of tears and ..... the Final Blue. Right now, on the list of favorite colors, its low on the totem pole.

Kay, oh Kay. I am ... a doctor. Except, I've decided I want to specialize in two different specialties at the same time. Been working as a resident for a year, and my heartstrings need a long, long vacation. Since I get only four weeks off in one dang year, I write poetry instead, and spill my purple guts here. (There's the purple... again. I need green. No. Wait. I like white. No. Wait. Pink. Yeah. I think I'll go with pink and orange. )
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 04:17 PM »
See, I didn't know that about you? Isn't it funny that we "see" these people all the time and we really know very little.

Thank you, Dr.  *star*

Offline Soft Words

• Shoppe Keeper
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Kay,

It is interesting, the way we percieve people. People tell me I'm too young to be where I am, but I'm here, so can we move on to you kthxplz? Its hilarious, you know.

Still waters may run deep, but then, so do rivers.
I don't know which I am, except I'm quicksilver.

Hugs,
Arti.

Offline daisyxo

• Cat in a Hat
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 07:22 PM »
beautiful, yet heart breaking at the same time - and the haiku worked so well with this poem
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 01:03 AM »
Dear Dr. Arti,

I am grateful and humbled by your chosen profession, awed by your strength and honored by your boundless Love. I'll trade you one haiku for two; with hope, that in some small way, they may bring you comfort.

Life is a great sunrise. I do not see why death should not be an even greater one. Vladimir NabokovFor my mother who passed away July 1, 2010

Life is eternal; and love is immortal; and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight. - R. W. Raymond

And yet, to see Life clearly and unobstructed, we must first, close our eyes to our mortality and open them to Love. - G

The grave is but a covered bridge Leading from light to light, through a brief darkness! - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Death is not extinguishing the light; it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come. - Rabindranath Tagore

On that day when my mortal flame is snuffed, do not weep for me; rather, rejoice for I have no need of light, but that which blossoms and burns in Love eternal. - G
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline Soft Words

• Shoppe Keeper
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Marsha, thank you for stopping by. I'm glad the poem worked for you. :)

G, thank you. Everything helps. Every little bit helps. I didn't have a choice about what I do - it was, and is what I am meant to do. People around me have their medical knowledge and dealings enhanced by their lives before medicine. For me, everything else I do is enriched by it. Even if the gore spills over, I still cannot imagine living my life any other way.
Your haiku are beautiful and serene despite the grief. (((((((((Hugggss))))))))))
This is all I have to offer in exchange

woven lullabies
quiet thoughts fluttering past
reminiscences
sealed coffins and urns of ash
bedewed by a final kiss

Offline Bill

• Paragon
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 11:39 PM »

Offline Soft Words

• Shoppe Keeper
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 07:59 PM »
Bill, I had the chance to read your post before you removed it, though I have not had a chance to reply. There is something about humanity and poetry, I can't remember now, but thank you. Thank you for sharing.

:)
Arti.

Offline Bill

• Paragon
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 12:24 AM »
Soft Words,

You're welcome.  The post was removed as a reaction to the contemplation of other matters.

Regards,
Bill