Author Topic: Meet Halo, our New Hostess  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
Meet Halo, our New Hostess
« on: June 27, 2010, 05:26 PM »
4206-0
Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to Berenice a.k.a HaloSW:What brought you to SplashHall/the Alley?
Halo: I'd been hanging out with Fiction writers, writing less than average fiction that caused me a lot of frustration . I don't remember what turned me towards poetry. I just remember an awareness of poetry, blossoming for the first time in my life. I wrote a couple of sorry little pieces and figured if I was going to learn anything about poetry I should mix with poets, read other poetry and most importantly, have some interaction with poets. A natural progression I guess, was to search for an online poetry forum. I roamed around lots of sites and kept coming back to Splash. There were a couple of reasons SplashHall/the Alley called be back again and again. I liked the poetry and I liked the fact that the boards were easy to access. Instinct had a big part to play in choosing Splash, I felt drawn to join in and meet the people whose poetry I'd been reading and enjoying.

SW:What keeps you here?
Halo:Talented poets and friendship!

I love to read what you're writing, hear how you are, what your doing, thinking. Now that we have the Poetry Cafe on Yak Chat, I'm not going anywhere (I wasn't anyway), not if I have a choice, I love the live interaction.

Most importantly I stay because I know my poetry and I are accepted.  :)

SW:Do you have any favorite Splashers/Alley cats?
Halo:I do, all of you! And you have my thanks for all the encouragement, for reading my poetry, leaving me comments and befriending me. I felt very inadequate when I first joined and had little confidence in my writing. I was darned nervous every time I posted a piece, I've overcome most of those insecurities and figure, what the heck...post anyway. What's the worst that could happen!

There are those of you who have influenced my work in a major way, witt, Arti, Mystic1, Marsupial Man, T7L...erm John Doe and our one and only epyleptictrout. Of course all of you have influenced my work, hastened my learning, but these people dramatically influenced how I perceive and write poetry.

SW: Who/What has influenced your poetry most?
Halo:Reading other poetry, examining words and their meanings, how they fit together. Experimenting! That has to have been the biggest influence, taking risks with my writing, not conforming to the rules. Being brave enough to follow my instincts and allowing my own creativity to surface.

SW: What are you besides a poet?
Halo: I'm a wife, mom, grandmother, working girl (waitress in a busy restaurant), and an amateur photographer. I have seven children ranging in ages from 36 down to 9. Two boys and five girls. Three girls still live at home, two of them teenagers. They keep me busy physically and emotionally. They tire me out, but they are inspiring and full of love. And there are eight grandchildren, four boys and four girls. Two of my grandchildren are the same age as my youngest daughter. I was pregnant with my two daughters-in-law. I think that might be some kind of Guinness World Book of Records thing.

I love photography and sometimes it's a hard decision -  take my camera out, or write. I have a portfolio of photos on RedBubble if anyone is interested in taking a peek at what I see through my lens. My RedBubble ID is Byzantinehalo.

SW: Tell me about your muse...is she a ballerina, a fiend with a crossbow, a pixie, or is she a he?
Halo: She's me, the one who lives inside me, who I am through my life experiences, my conscience, my faith. Sometimes she's a bit of a minx who encourages me to post in the erotic board. Other times she's driving me to explore relationships. I find she loves nature, the sea, the night sky, stars. Occasionally she's a little bent towards social justice. I'm still getting to know her. It seems to me that will take the rest of my life. Thank goodness, I would hate to think that poetry was only a brief experience.

SW: Name one poem you think everyone should read.
Halo: I can't name only one, there is so much poetry that is deserving of being read. Definitely I recommend Bukowski, Langston Hughes, Kuerac,  My favorite contemporary poet is Carl Sandburg. It's a sadness for me, that I have come to poetry so late in life. Time is always against me...drives me nuts that the days and nights are so short. Perhaps when my youngest kids are independent I will have more time for reading.

SW: What would you tell someone who is just beginning to write their own poetry?
Halo: Don't be afraid to try, or to show people what you've written. Never be above listening to advice.
Above all, experiment, break the rules some and enjoy.
Do not be shy!

SW: Do you like pirates? Why why why?
Halo: Now this question threw me a bit. Made me laugh and got me thinking. I guess I like the romantic pirate, the imaginary one that sweeps the woman off her feet and carries her off to his island to have his way with her.

I don't like the reality of Pirates, the violence, the lawlessness. I do like Jack Sparrow, mmmmm, Johny Depp. ;)

SW: Quickfire threes: favorite authors, books, movies
Halo: I wish I could give some great literary names, but I can't. I have eclectic tastes in books and often don't pay attention to the authors names. I do have a favorite book, The Lover's Room by Steven Carroll, an Australian author. My favorite movie is The Deer Hunter, and that probably dates me well and truly. That movie made a deep impression on me that lasted for a very long time. And although I haven't seen it for a lot of years, impressions of it still linger.

SW: You are our new Hostess  - what ingenious and devious intentions do you possess?
Halo: Ahh, umm, devious - who me? Ingenious, not sure I have any genius, 'in' or not. I would love for people to get to know one another better, be more comfortable with each other and sharing their poetry. I like to encourage people and I plan to do plenty of that.

SW: Anything special you'd like to say to everyone here? Any confessions?
Halo: Thank you for for taking this Aussie poet in and keeping her warm and fed with outstanding poetry and friendship. I've stayed because of ya'all (notice my southern accent, I picked that up from witt). I enjoy your poetry and company. Without you, my poetry might not have advanced much from my very first baby pieces.

Confessions? Ha, as if I would tell. Rolls my very innocent eyes at ya'all!  :) )

Soooo family, give me questions, lots of questions.
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline EpylepticTrout

• Willows
  • Missed it by that much -Maxwell Smart
    • roadside savants
Re: Meet Halo, our New Hostess
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 06:09 PM »
From the Desk of Attorknees: Harcourt, Fenton and Mudd

Re: dehaase, dba EpylepticTrout, aka Trout favored to win Halo Tournament

Dear Ms. Halo, dba Halo,

We at Harcourt, Fenton and Mudd, representing dehaase, dba EpylepticTrout, aka Trout, heretobefore and after compel the Respondant, Halo, dba Halo,  from predicting, profiting from such predictions; attempting to influence, profiting from such profiteering by enjoining speculators to support dehaase, dba EpylepticTrout, aka Trout, in his current campaign in the online tournament, Halo Wars 3.14.

Any further comment(s), by Respondant,  projecting dehaase, dba EpylepticTrout, aka Trout as favored will be met with severe impunity, as well as global media campaigns meticulously designed to convict, Respondant, Halo, dba Halo in the medias for crimes which, may or may not have been conceived, and/or excecuted by Respondant, Halo, dba Halo.

Thank you, Ms. Halo, dba Halo, for your compliance and please consider donating to our Unemployed Lawyers in Haiti Who Can't Find Anyone to Sue (ULHWCFAS) Relief Fund (RF).

Regards

The Desk of Harcourt, Fenton and Mudd, representing dehaase, dba EpylepticTrout, aka Trout

Offline Marsupial Man

• Paragon
    • Marsupial Man (minimal thought)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 06:15 PM »
Well Halo, it was nice to learn a bit about you. The Deer Hunter? I do remember seeing that, when it 1st came out. It certainly was a warm and fuzzy film.

I see Trout has already begun his legal proceedings. Good luck with that : )

Take care of yourself, Lady,

Paul

Offline Lady SunShine

• Senior Alley Hostess
  • Awaken Dreamer
    • http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/ladysunshine/Sunshine'World.html
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 08:30 PM »
 Awesome interview ......... Wonderful to get to know you........ I know what you mean by taking pics ... I try to take my camera with everywhere I go ... words still now flowing the way they used to since my sons death but once in a while I feel my words flow through the camera ........... so glad your here
Never Let Yesterday's Pain
Ruin Tomorrow's Dreams

witt

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 08:26 AM »
I really enjoyed this interview. Thanks for letting us get to know you better!

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Halo, I was so happy to see your interview here ... it's nice to get to know you a little better.  With all those kids and grandkids, I don't know how you manage to do any writing or photography!  but it's very nice that you do - I love your poetry .... thanks for sharing a piece of your life with us!
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 10:39 AM »
Oh Halo...this was so much fun!  I loved reading about your life!  You are sad that you came to poetry so late?  What on earth have you been doing all this time???
Raising seven children is the MOST IMPORTANT job and the hardest one on this earth!  Hats off to you!   You are such a blooming rose of joy in our poetry garden!
I am glad you are here, and find your work very inspiring!  So fun to meet you and get to know you better!   ~huggggs, elise
I felt it shelter to speak to you  ~Emily Dickinson

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 01:15 PM »
What!?  You like pirates and have no confessions just for the sheer piracy of it all!? Common now, dish it out.

Now that we have that covered, welcome, welcome, welcome. I loved getting to know you.
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
  • who finds a faithful friend finds a treasure
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 12:58 AM »
Thank you my friends, My apologies for taking so long to respond to your comments. It's term break here and I have kids all over the place, it's a bit of a mind bender most of the time.  :tongue

Paul, thanks for reading and wishing me luck with Trout...I'll need it! Replying to his comment will take some thought. Crazy thought, I think.  :tongue  Thank you for every time you have read and commented on one of my poems, your encouragement has meant a great deal. Peace to you Paul.

Dear LadySunshine, we have something extra special in common, photography is a wonderful art form, so relaxing and inspiring. I hope your words return to you soon, there is such release in writing. We can get our thoughts into focus and heal just through the experience of writing.  Thank you for your warm words, so much appreciated.  :cheekiss

witt, right from the beginning you were a friend and help. I love your poetry, it always speaks to me. And my thanks to you for every time you pointed out an error in grammar or spelling, you helped me grow. I enjoyed those times we played Haiku tag when I got home from work late at night. They were good fun. As much as I adore
Haiku, I don't seem to be writing them as much any more. I would rather read everyone else and enjoy their creativity. A sincere thanks to you, witt!  :rose

Daisy, It was fun sharing myself. I feel very safe here on the Alley, thanks to you and the other guys. Your warm acceptance has encouraged me greatly. And it's dogged determination that gets me writing and behind my camera. Thank you.  :comfort

elise, you brought tears to my eyes and made me smile all at the same time. I had no idea my  :rose was blooming so colorfully here.  Thanks my friend, for all your
encouragement.

A-FRIEND, I guess I could confess to a little chocolate addiction, chocolate cake fetish, umm...erm, I like chocolate cake. Are these the sorts of confessions you're after.
Somehow I doubt it, but it's all I'm willing to admit to.  wink* Your warm welcomes are like chocolate on my taste buds, thank you and it's a pleasure to share me here.

Trouty, my dear fish, you can expect a letter from my attorneys, de Scaler, Cannery and Tinned. They know just how to deal with a slippery fishy like you.  :kisslady

your Halo  :angel: :hearts
Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~  Ira Gassen

Offline cafeRg

• Smoke & Mirrors
  • Alley Manager
  • tap this
    • BZoO Radio WorldWide
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Ahoj there Matey ..enjoyed this much ..who would have known you was all this and more? Thanks for being an Alley Cat  *clap*
Disclaimer: cafeRg could be wrong.

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04 AM »

Rg, thank you for visiting, much appreciated. Aaaaaand,  I have had a lot of years to get to be more.  wink*
and I'm a happy Alley Cat! Thanks for asking me.   :angel: :sunny :comfort
Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~  Ira Gassen

Offline Dutch...

• Top Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Hallo Halo  (mixing in some Dutch language   wink* )

It's always wonderful to read about people and to hear about their backgrounds and reasons or drives to write(poetry)

I enjoyed reading yours!

Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you.
And all you can do is to go where they can find you.
Winnie the Pooh

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 08:03 AM »
Thanks for reading me Dutch, glad you enjoyed the interview.  I agree, it's inspiring learning what makes
others write and and what influences their writing style.  :angel: