Linked Events

• LiVE Poetry Read 9PM EDT: December 30, 2010

Author Topic: LiVE PoeTrY REaDS - The Alley in YakCHaT  (Read 54193 times)

Offline Rg

• Alley Manager
LiVE PoeTrY REaDS - The Alley in YakCHaT
« on: May 18, 2010, 03:41 PM »
ANNOUNCING!

THE ALLEY Live Poetry Readings - Thursday's 9:00PM - 10:30PM (EST) - Yak Chat
The Alley is now hosting live poetry readings in Yakkity Yak Virtual Places Chat.  Yak is a FREE chat program and is very easy to use. 

For those who have been around the virtual chat world - this program is virtually the same as the old Excite, or Halsoft VP programs.

To join us, here are the following instructions per daisy:

Download Yak Chat herehttp://www.yackity-yak.com/

You'll find an overview of the program benefits, install instructions, and a link to preview a sample of what a page looks like once you've downloaded and installed.

*  Click on the link at the top of the page where it says:  For All Windows ----- Chat Download........YY-Chat-3300.exe
*  A box pops up asking if you want to 'run or save this file?'  Click "Run" 
*  Your computer's virus program or firewall may stop you and ask if you want to continue with the download.  Click Yes, Allow, Continue, etc - depending on your program. 
*  Another box pops up "Welcome to the YY-Chat-3300 Install Program."
*  Follow the instructions for downloading.  Once the install wizard begins, follow the prompts and let your computer create the directories the wizard suggests.

When the download is complete - open the program.  You'll land on the Welcome page. Click on the link to register a screenname and password.  Another box pops up for the registration process.  You should read the Terms of Service, as always, before agreeing to go forward.

Once your screenname is approved, open the program and sign in.  You'll land on the "Picker" page with your name showing in "Observe."  Select your name by clicking on it once, right click on your name, Choose "Edit Identity"

*  Since this is your first time in the program your picture "avatar" (AV, for short) will be a cartoon person with a bag on his/her head.
*  If you have avatars from other chat programs, or possibly one you use here in the Alley forum, click on "Personal" -- then click "Change" -- browse to find the directory your avs are saved in - choose one, click OK and your picture will be changed.
*  If you don't have any avatars yet - click on "Stock" and choose one that is supplied with the program. We can help you find more av's at a later time.
*  When you've changed your picture, click OK and you're ready to come find us.

There are 3 ways to find us:
* In the bottom right of the screen click on "Locate" -- type in:  daisyxo, or elise -- press "Enter" or click on the "Locate" button.  If the person is online, the box will show you where they are.  Click on the name and then click "Go to Place" -- by default you'll land in Observe.  Click on "Room" (top left of screen) to enter the room.
*  You can type in the page address in the "Location" bar, type the address then press enter:  hhttp://thealleypoetry.com/
*  From the "Picker" page you can watch the flashing banners -- look for The Alley Poetry, click on it and it will take you to the page.

When you get into the room the first time --- In the grey bar (top left) click on "Go" -- "Favorite Places" -- "Add to Favorites" --- the room is now saved as a favorite and you'll be able to find your way back next time.

You'll need to download the poetry reader to your desktop.  In the black bar above the Alleypicture, click on the links and follow the instructions. 

There are many little things that we can help you with once you're in the program (settings, moving around, megas,the poetry reader, etc.).  The instructions above should get you in and ready to begin enjoying the experience of virtual chat.  Be prepared to have fun and to be drawn into the excitement of "Live Poetry Readings."

Please, come and join us ~ we're excited to get started and can't wait to see you.  If you'd like to come and observe, that's ok, we won't pressure you.  If you want to share a poem or 2, we're ready!  Constructive comments are welcome and encouraged. 

If you need help getting the program downloaded, or getting in and finding us, please let us know.  Contact Daisy or elise - we'll be happy to help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
  • who finds a faithful friend finds a treasure
Re: LiVE PoeTrY REaDS - The Alley in YakCHaT
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:47 AM »
Hi Daisy, have downloaded the binary file for Yak Chat...got that OK. But i get a pop-up window saying i can't install the programme????
Any suggestions.
Halo
Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~  Ira Gassen

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:11 AM »
hi Halo ..... I'm not sure without a little more info.  I wonder if your firewall or virus program is stopping you?  I'll look around this evening after work.  There are bound to be a few problems with all the differences in computers and stuff they run in the background.  Have a good day and I'll get back to you.
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:39 AM »
I wondered the same thing about the firewall and virus program. But I usually don't have any problem downloading new programs. Thanks for looking into it for me.
Be careful of your thoughts; they may become words at any moment.  ~  Ira Gassen

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Halo, I sent you an email - please let me know if you're successful or not.

~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:14 PM »
I have good news...excellent news. I had a dodgy yahoo messenger.  I got rid of it last night and my whole system is working better. I have downloaded Yak Chat and waiting for my account to be verified.

Thanks Daisy, for your help. I didn't get your email, just the Alley topic notification for in here. I'm so glad I fixed this on my own, I hate feeling helpless with computer stuff.
Looking forward to joining in the chat.  :cheekiss

Halo was already taken...so it is byzantinehalo.  ::)

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 10:32 PM »
WONDERFUL NEWS HALO~~~  Yay!!!!   I look forward to seeing you there!!!!!!!
 :dblu
I felt it shelter to speak to you  ~Emily Dickinson

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35 PM »
thanks elise...before my day is out, (12.34pm here) i will email you my yahoo messenger info anyways.  :comfort

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 10:41 PM »
looking forward to seeing you tomorow night Halo, so glad you got this figured out!
~ Marsha ~

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:32 PM »
me too, Marsha. I have it on good authority it will be around 11.00am Friday my time. Hopefully my time source is right...hmmm, G?  :beatnik

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:25 PM »
REMINDER TO ALL:   LIVE POETRY READING TONIGHT AT YAKCHAT!!!!  9 PM  EST--- LOVE TO HAVE YOU JOIN US!

IT'S FREE !
Scroll down to see daisy's first post with the instructions on how to get there!

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 08:39 PM »
I checked and rechecked. And, yes, I have since confirmed the time.  Nine P. M. (Thursday May 20th)  United States Eastern Standard Time is indeed Eleven A. M. (May 21st) Victoria time.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_AU-VIC.aspx

;D :tongue
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:50 PM »
The SMOOTHEST & QUICKEST way to find our room is to click on Locate in bottom rt hand corner of your screen once inside yak and type in elise_1
A screen will pop up, just click "Go to Place" and VOILA

Offline Halo

• Senior Alley Hostess
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Thanks G...see you there.  :cheekiss

got that, elise, see you soon.  :rose