Author Topic: Meet Voodoo Child, Lady of Delectable Names  (Read 5186 times)

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
Meet Voodoo Child, Lady of Delectable Names
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:33 PM »
[float=left]3872-0[/float]Meet Voodoo Child aka Cookie Bristol, Lady of the Lovely Names, and one the earliest Splashers in these Halls. She was born in Oklahoma and raised in Illinois. She has been married for 31 years and has two grown children. She is an artist, a cat person and lives in a haunted house. (Side note: Cookie, you have to tell me more about that haunted house so I can check it out whenever I do the Tour de Not-Famous Haunted Houses)
She started writing poetry when she was 15. Cookie has been such an instrumental part of these Halls that I think everyone knows her - she has welcomed so many of us with her characteristic warmth and smile. Just look at that picture if you don't believe me!

SW: What brought you to SplashHall in the early misty days?
VC: I had been searching for a poetry forum for quite awhile before I found these hallowed halls... I was really impressed by the talent and genuine friendliness of the members. I loved the fact that there were no over-inflated egos fighting for dominance!

SW: What keeps you here?
VC: What keeps me here is the talent... and a lot of very lovely people.

SW: Which Splashers have made lasting impression on you and why?
VC: There have been many, but, I'll just name a few for now..
Sartor.. I think his poetry and good humor have made an impression on many of us. His style of writing is one that I completely understand.. He is a wonderful storyteller and a good friend.
The Merlin.. His poetry always took me to a different place and time. His recent passing has stung many hearts here at SplashHall. He will be missed for a long time...
Lady Sunshine... Sunny was my 'mentor' for a time. She was the person who introduced me to cin(e)poetry (video poetry). She tutored me in flash animation and tried her hardest to teach me basic html! I'm sure I gave her fits of dispare at times!
WordFaery... introduced me to audio poetry. Her work with and for Senior Citizens is wonderful.. she is an amazing person.
witt... for her kindness and humor.
Allen.. for his encouraging words
All my haiku buddies! And on and on... so many!

SW: You are our newest SplashHostess. What are your pet targets?
VC: I would like to see our Forum become more active in being a place where friends meet and hang out. I realize that SplashHall is first and foremost dedicated to poetry, but, personally speaking, I would love to get to know the people behind the poetry. Off topic subjects are a good way to socialize!

SW: What is your definition of poetry?
VC: For me, poetry is emotion-based. Poetry needs to tell me a story.. paint a vivid picture that makes me lose myself. For me, poetry needs to have structure. It needs to be challenging. Good poetry makes my heart 'tingle'. To sum up, my definition of poetry is a structured, rhyming story that evokes all of my senses and creates emotion. Guess I could've said that at the beginning!

SW: Quick threesomes: three favorite songs, artist(e)s, poems, books.
VC: Songs: 1.) Reverie by Claude Debussy 2.) #9 Dream by John Lennon 3.) Moon Child by King Crimson
     Artists: 1.) J.W. Waterhouse .. love pre-raphaelite art 2.) Gilbert Williams 3.) Warwick Goble
     Poems: 1.) Annabel Lee by EA Poe 2.) How do I Love Thee? Let me Count the Ways by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.. this was the first poem I remember hearing as a child.
                3.) The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Lord Tennyson
     Books: 1.) Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock 2.) Forbidden Archeology: The Hidden History of the Human Race by Michael Cremo 3.) Supernatural by Graham Hancock

SW: You're awesome at audiovisual poetry - I love the work in your forum. What got you started?
VC: My interest started a couple of years ago while enjoying the cin(e)poetry posted here at SplashHall. Lady Sunshine helped me with that, introducing me to SwishMax Flash animation software. I became interested in recording poetry after listening to Wordfaery's work.

SW: This may be an intrusive question, but why do you write?
VC: I like to tell stories and evoke emotions. I like to make people laugh. I like to challenge myself. I have a need to express the mystical and spiritual part of me.. lots of different reasons.

SW: Do you write in silence/noise/sleep deprivation/longhand/online - what is your writing process like?
VC: I write in all of the above. Once I have visual inspiration, the poetry comes very quickly. Sometimes, (if my muse co-operates) I can write a poem in a matter of minutes. I usually come up with a title first, one that paints the whole picture for me in my mind.. emotion, humor, color etc. then I write the story about it. Right now, I'm working on a 'picture' of "Squirrel vs Blue Jay"! 8^)

SW: Any words of wisdom you'd like to share with the rest of us with less delectable names?
VC: Yeh.. don't take your poetry to seriously.. remember that you're also writing for an audience. Paint a picture with your words.. you only have a few lines to evoke emotion. Be vivid and colorful. Write your poetry for all the senses...

{I'm really sorry, Cookie, that it took me soooo long to post this.}
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
Re: Meet Voodoo Child, Lady of Delectable Names
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:13 PM »
hey Cookie - a much enjoyed interview- it's great to learn a little more about you.  You're a very talented lady.  I think that would be fascinating to live in a haunted house and I'd love to hear more about it.  Any poems on the subject?
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:51 PM »
Hey Cookie,

Great to see an interview with you. Oh, and Arti, I don't think you were late in posting at all. I think you were right on time. stage whisper PSSST,  it's Voo's birthday today.

Wolf In G's Clothing
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

witt

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:36 AM »
I enjoyed this interview. Thanks for letting us take a peek inside you.

Offline Voodoo Child

• Temple Dancer
  • Paragon
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Thank you Arti for your lovely interview! I got some great ghost stories for you too  :tongue

Thanks to my friends for reading and the commenting. And G Wizzz Kid, yes, I did start celebrating my b day a day early! Thats what happens when you get old.. it takes 2 or 3 days to do the birthday thing...

xxVoo
Cookie...

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." John Lennon

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:26 PM »
I can't blame you for that, Voo.  ;D I try to celebrate all my unbirthdays too. You know, just so I don't miss one.

Through The Looking Glass, Me
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline Allen

• Paragon
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:45 PM »
Wow a ghost; absolutely amazing.

I should say, just for the record, you know, just in case the question should ever arise:-

SplashHall is an all inclusive community where all that wish to splash are welcome, without regard to, anything at all.  We don't care.  Even if you are dead, come on in, and splash around.  ALL GHOSTS WELCOME.

I was wondering whether your ghost has any poetic tendencies?  I sure hope so.  We could use whatever help we can get, from whomsoever we can get it, dead or alive.
Allen

An action promulgated out of desperation will inevitably end in tragedy; for as its anagram so aptly foretells:  A rope ends it. �

Offline Taylormade

• Walking Through Life's written Words
  • Alley Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 04:15 AM »
I am new here Hi.. :sunny
And i enjoyed your interview, Voodoo Child aka Cookie Bristol..lol
such a vast array of people you admire, I can never remember there names,
We do have one thing in common though I to have a ghost in my house,
Take care and I look forward to reading your work. :coffee
Annie... :hearts
Friends Are Angels Who Pick Us Up
When Our Wings Have Forget How To Fly

Offline Voodoo Child

• Temple Dancer
  • Paragon
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 07:56 PM »
Aaahahaha! Allen, it's so good to know that our ghosts are welcome too... Ghost writers and poets! My old house was built on a Native American settlement, just a couple of miles from Fort Creve Coeur. There's a little boy here and a former owner of the house. There's a couple that come and go. Sometimes I wonder if my muse hangs around with the spirits here.. maybe that's were she get's her ideas that inspire me!

Annie... thanks so much for stopping by and leaving these kind words... When you've been a member for a while longer, you'll get to know the wonderful people at Splash.. they are such an inspiration. We'll have to swap stories sometime! I think that probably all homes and places have spirits.. it's just a matter of how we look at our world that determines if we 'see' them..

xx Voo
Cookie...

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." John Lennon

Offline Rach

• Paragon
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Voo:
Not that you need an official welcome, you were here before me.  :)  haha.  But, I am glad to read your interview and learn so much about you.  I have enjoyed your insights and encouragement here, and I wish you many more talent-filled days in all of your many interests.

Offline Voodoo Child

• Temple Dancer
  • Paragon
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Voo:
Not that you need an official welcome, you were here before me.  :)  haha.  But, I am glad to read your interview and learn so much about you.  I have enjoyed your insights and encouragement here, and I wish you many more talent-filled days in all of your many interests.

C'mere, Rach, and give us a big hug!  :cheekiss
Thanks so much for your sweet words.. you made my day!

xxoo Voo
Cookie...

Offline GND

• Alley Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:39 PM »
Congrats Miss Cookie... what a lovely interview and quite ghostly. haha  Just ask them to tell you a good story some time... As for your BD and age, well you can't be more than 29 and holding! hahaha... You are lovely and we are all blessed to know and love you... even the ones who ummm haven't known you long. ;)  :cheekiss    :candlelight  Happy BD... Did i miss it? if so...what did u get me??  hugs my dear Miss Cookie... surely i hope to see you some time!  reaches over and pinches Cookie just slightly and lights a small fire.  lol..haha 

GND

Offline Voodoo Child

• Temple Dancer
  • Paragon
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 06:15 PM »
reaches over and pinches Cookie just slightly and lights a small fire.  lol..haha 

*Miss Melodie grabs a fly swatter and a fire extinguisher*  :tongue

xxxx Cookie

Cookie...

Offline GND

• Alley Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 12:25 AM »
wow Miss Melodie those are mighty long arms you go there... Lil Miss...Misty (oh dats me) for sure..giggles and dashes off to plot her next move.  Humm how big of a fire will I need?  or perhaps some sweet candy...oh yes I bet she might like her some sweets   :sweetkiss  be well my lil tart... hoping this finds you as silly as the day you were born..    :sunny  :tongue 

miss u bunches
Me  :rose