Author Topic: my un-free  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Soft Words

• Shoppe Keeper
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
my un-free
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:43 AM »
{feel free to hate me if you like for this one. I believe nature should be allowed to take its course - modern medicine may be able to keep most people alive, but not all of them can actually Live. But what do I know, I'm just a student. *shrug* }

Pale sunlight is filtered through leaves,
wire mesh and glass
before kissing your still paler lips.
You and I, trapped fast
in an endless cycle of
bleed-transfuse-bleed.

Why won't they let you go
when you don't even breathe for yourself
the roses they place at your bedside
or taste the brown goop we pour
straight into your gut?

Emotion tethers you here
along with "the Will of God",
that piece of holy shit.

Long has your voice been gone
from these walls that imprison your body,
is your spirit still here,
is your soul here?
Do you feel the anger I feel for you?

How far is too far,
how much is too much,
how little is nothing
and how can I know?

You are not my father or kin,
and I might deny grief at your passing
had I not understood
caring is a two-edged sword
that never misses the heart.
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
Re: my un-free
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:42 PM »
This is such a touchy subject, but you've handled it quite well.
There is so much here I hardly know where to begin.
Life constitutes quaility, not merely quantity.

emotion tethers you here...

This is the stick by which most measure. Understandably so.
But we, as family members, must strive to see past our own feelings
and realize what is best for those we love.

I could write an entire book on this concept “the Will of God“, but I’ll spare you the suffering. Suffice to say, simply because we can do such a thing, doesn’t mean we should.

How far is too far,
how much is too much,
how little is nothing
and how can I know?

These are not complicated questions for me.
Life, at its core, is about choice.
Once the ability to choose is gone...
what then, is life, but existence? G.
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline Marsupial Man

• Paragon
    • Marsupial Man (minimal thought)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Very nicely written Soft Words,

My wife and I have both agreed that, if either one of us is in a situation that requires outside assistance to maintain our bodily functions without any reasonable hope of reviving with a quality of life, the machines need to be turned off.

Take care of yourself,

Paul

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 04:45 PM »
I agree with MM.  To that end one must explore the legalities involved before anything happens. A living will, medical necessity documents, power of attorney, medical power of attorney. There are many ways to have ones wishes carried out without putting that burden on the family.

You're a brave soul for bringing this up Arti. I applaud you.
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline Soft Words

• Shoppe Keeper
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:17 PM »
G, Paul, Earl:

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are extremely touchy on the topic of considering their own death in an objective way - this translates into complete and utter refusal to even consider such ideas as living wills, advance directives, etc. There are socioeconomic factors, socioreligious factors and oodles of misinformation that adversely any conversations the "educated elite" may have with these people.

I'm from the school that believes that people deserve dignity in death. Putting a feeding tube in a demented 96 year-old because he is losing weight (we shall ignore the fact that Grandpa has been on dialysis for the last 10 years, has had a tracheostomy for the last 5 years, has a bunch of pressure sores, and his heart is functioning at 20% - and he has been demented since he was 70 - that is more than 25 years - and he has been diabetic forever) - this, IMO, constitutes abuse. Besides being a total violation of whatever constitutes the law of humanity.

Whatever.

:)
Arti
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Hi Arti...thank you for sharing this.  As an RN myself---and having worked in a neuro ICU (among other places)...I certainly feel a whole lot of what you feel.  I remember one Christmas with a teenage girl kept alive via life support day after day after day...no brain activity left...the mournful cries of the family.   I would pray on my way to work night after night that she would be gone...that the agony of their choice would be over.   Yet it went on for almost two weeks, before they finally came to grips with it and turned off life support.   She never took a breath on her own, and was gone almost instantly.   

Something I learned through such times, is that it takes some people longer to come to grips with losing their loved one...especially if their circumstance was sudden.   I do feel that we ought to all have a good look at how we feel about such things...even considering organ donation, living wills and advance directives way ahead of any crisis.  The more prepared we are, the easier it will be when we, or our family members, have to make tough choices.

Thanks for sharing your feelings Arti...a tough but necessary subject for sure!   
 :rose
I felt it shelter to speak to you  ~Emily Dickinson