Author Topic: Our Poetry Director  (Read 8691 times)

Offline champagne_shoes

• Paragon
  • Subterranean Hotel Resident
Re: Our Poetry Director
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 07:46 PM »
S'cuse me poets and others. To paraphrase the gorgeous Nightsongs:

I am in a state of disarray.

And now for the segue----------------------- inevitable, one could argue.

Elise:

Your anecdote bewildered me, possibly because my parents were Catholique, and the Pope could never think such a mundane thought. Why did the woman with the sinful hairstyle return to the same dresser? That remains

incomprehensible.

Redemption Centr:

I adore you first and foremost because you're a poet.

Kay,

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

Paul,
You are pure of heart.

you do your best.

Mystique,

you reduce me to secular laughter. Zen never judges; it accommodates like a river.

When you scold:

For Shoes, I leave this:

To be aware of a single shortcoming within oneself is more useful than to be aware of a thousand in someone else. Rather than speaking ill of people and in ways that will produce friction and unrest in their lives, we should practice a purer perception of them, and when we speak of others, speak of their good qualities. ~ Dalai Lama[/i]

Don't you also implicate yourself?

And when you say

Hallowed Halls

doesn't that appear to be neophyte cultist?
Do you
Can you
catch my drift?

Alain, ( that's how we spell your name in French)

that red menses text
makes me clamour for the nearest kotex

A friend,
but clearly not mine--
"ultimate irony"

What does that mean?
Perhaps you could have inserted "penultimate"

I think that SplashHall requires a twenty-first century Poetry Director to go where Witt wills not to go.

I wasn't implying deposition, merely addition.

I will spell it out:

1 + 1  =

"A community of poets is like a community of cats." joey

witt

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 10:01 PM »
77+66+159+190=

Offline Bill

• Paragon
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 10:04 PM »
champagne_shoes,

You are just toooo funny.  I can't stop from smiling.  But hey, let me get serious with you for a couple paragraphs.

Nice gambit.  Old strategy, but nice gambit.

Divide and conquer.

However, you should really cease your desperate attempts to validate a position that is not under assault.  No one I know of prohibits the posting of any kind of poetry in SplashHall.  Witt does not control what is posted, though she is charged with insuring that it is posted in the proper room.   The community is open to poets of every stripe. 

As a result of the philosophy of the Hall, and, yes, the instructions Witt is honorbound to follow, certain poems have been moved, not only because of their genre, but, because, as was demonstrated on this day, juveniles are welcome here, as long as they are accompanied by a parent.  Certain vulgarities / genres are, for that same reason, asked to be posted, or moved to be posted in an appropriate room.  What Witt does as director is more like a traffic cop than a censorship official.

But that is beside the point and off on another tangent.  So, I repeat for the hard of reading; go ahead, post your 21st century, cutting-edge, supremely sophisticated, surpassingly gifted poems in the AX, or anywhere else you elect to do so.  Covet and maintain the friendships and rapport you've developed. 

But please, quit your verbally sophisticated, deliberately eloquent, nonetheless elitist whining.  You sound like a spoiled brat who will insist on having her way.  And in the process, you will dole out a compliment here, a fawning statement there to acquire supporters, and denigrate others who rebuke your inane complaints in the hope that no one wants to be associated with a "neophyte cultist," or a friend who ironically (or was it just justifiably) in your opinion turned on you.

It is transparent ploy, and the people you complimented are far too intelligent to fall for it.  (See, two can play that game.)

I stand by my former post, though I removed it for a while.  I re-posted it because it is on the dime.  You can't stand to loose.  You can't stand to see your beguiling methodology fall on deaf ears.  You could easily fold up your tent and move from SplashHall to a dozen, nope, probably a hundred other poetry sites where your propostion would be welcome.  But this is beyond your understanding, that some would actually stand up to your grandstanding. 

So keep pushing it.  The more you do, the more transparent you become.

Ps.  And it is my personal conviction, having delt in real with so many sooo like you, that you have every intention of leaving, but you want to take a few souls along with you.  But it must be by being banned.  In fact, you can't wait to be banned, so that, wherever you land next, you can play up the inability of those savages over at SplashHall to appreciate the cleverness of you.  Being banned, in your opinion, would prove that point and, you hope, incense others enough to follow you wherever you might lead. 

Yeah, you're a gifted poet.  I'm not gonna argue that point.  Other better poets than I have reviewed your work and found it satisfying.  It ain't my cup of tea, but then, what are you going to do with a guy who isn't bilingual.  But why is it that gifted just as often as not results in an overinflated ego that play the crowd like Eddie Izzard in his, "Dressed to Kill" video?  (You ought to rent it.  He actually spends the last segment doing his stand up in French.)  Wave off the applause, then wave it in.  Wave it off, then wave it in.  You try to play people like they are fish who took your bait.   Now all you have to do is reel them in. 

Got news for ya, sister, some of us are sharks.  Better watch out for your toes.

Pps.  Almost forgot.   It has been suggested that you are doing this only for the attention.  Finally, you have become what you most desire, the center of controversy, people reading and reacting to your every word, just the opposite of your poetry.  So, the recommendation is, back off.  Ignore her.  She'll go away.  Naaaaaaaaaa.  This is too much back streets and alleys, too much "Your mama's so fat....", too much fun to let go. 

In other words, its just tooo typically Bill.

Offline hcscable

• Xanadu...Part Duex
  • Paragon
  • ...Love Is Just A Four Letter Word...
    • Xanadu
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07 PM »
Phew! Is it getting WINDY in here or what?

My personal thanks to Witt!!! We both know why.
"Painting is poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech"...Simonides {556 B.C.-468 B.C.}

Offline champagne_shoes

• Paragon
  • Subterranean Hotel Resident
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Dear Bill,
I am gobsmacked

but seriously, I was responding to comments toward and about me as I saw fit. I do believe you were sore, Dear Bill, inasmuch as you were left out. Truth be told, I forgot you entirely, but I herewith make amends. And I do it unilingually

Transparently and apparently
unbeguilingly yours
"A community of poets is like a community of cats." joey

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 04:17 AM »
Yanno what...this thread was intended to serve one purpose.  I started the thread, and my opening comment set the tone.   It was to acknowledge the selfless work of our poetry director.   Period.   It was not the AXE where critique is welcomed...it was not intended to be a witchhunt, or opportunity to slam someone.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with thinking there needs to be changes/additions/etc to SPLASH.   But this was not the time or place for the dialogue.   

There is room here at SPLASH for everyone.   That includes people with all sorts of styles and differing opinions.   Common courtesy is expected from adults.   Yes, I stand by my previous comment that she deserves respect...but I will go one further and say that we all deserve respect.    I think that respect should also be given in the AXE...but hey that's just me.   Since when did "rude, cutting, put-down" remarks  ever teach anyone anything?
Good and honest critique...to me...is minus those things.   If you don't like it...say why.   Offer help...or say nothing at all.   I think one reason people aren't posting so much...or entering contests...could very well be that they are less than encouraged by some of the responses given.   

Say what you will about "Stepford Wives"...but there is NOTHING wrong with an attaboy or pat on the back sometimes.    My own work is far below those who teach, and I leave the coaching to them for the most part.   Usually I say nothing in the AXE...but when I really like something, I am gonna say it.

Oh, and I removed my previous little anecdote because it seems its purpose was lost on some, and didn't attain the goal I had hoped for.  It had nothing to do with a "hairdo" and everything to do with negative people.

So now...I end my posts here, and I will do it as I started.   Thank you Witt for all you do here at Splash.

I felt it shelter to speak to you  ~Emily Dickinson

Offline Bill

• Paragon
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 04:37 AM »
c_s,

Yeah, that's me, just your typically windy affection starved poet, so eager to have your attention, so in need of any bone you might throw my way, be it caustic or complimentary.

Well, I guess I'll go sit in my chair looking over the empty lot of my life pondering the cold-hearted fate that left me locked in the throes of unrequited love for your verbal batterings.

*sigh....

Hey, Witt, you know what, you are the better person, hands down.  I'm just tooooooooooooo nuts to top your decorum, your patience, your intellect, your insight, and your ability to love chickens.

See ya round the place. But like elise, I'm outta this thread.

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Shoes,

My intent was not to ridicule, but educate. Merely to point out the disservice you do to yourself, with this continued attachment to your anger toward Witt. If you found judgment and indignation, perhaps you should look to the mirror of  your conscience. (My own is clear. I hold neither anger nor resentment -toward you, or any other.)  Seek to adjust your actions in future, thereby reliving yourself of such destructive emotion.

The term Hallowed Halls was simply meant as a sign of respect.
I am well aware of multiple forms of  esoteric arcana, both cultural and religious, in nature. I am quite versed in the practices and doctrines of certain obscure beliefs. And I can assure you - Splash, by no stretch of the imagination, constitutes a cult.

Bill,

If chickens learned to write, would their first composition be Shakespeare's Hamlet (If the chimps hadn't succeeded by that time.) or something darker - yet no less dramatic - say, Marlowe's The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus? G.

I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline hcscable

• Xanadu...Part Duex
  • Paragon
    • Xanadu
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 06:13 PM »
You go away a couple of days. Tend to other more pressing issues, like laundry, etc.. Then you decide to check in on Splash and see what is going on among the peeps that roam the halls. It always seems to be something. You never know where the fight is going to break out, or in what forum.
This is the forum where I would expect the most decorum. A simple thank you to Witt who, in my opinion is most deserving. Thank you for her loyalty, her warmth and most of all her patience toward a group that most often acts like an unruly class of seventh graders. I am sure there are days when she might like nothing more than to deposit one or more of us on the business end of a flame thrower!! I am sure that her years of teaching experience has deterred those moments of complete frustration, moments of hurt, moments of exhaustion with the almost daily personal confrontations between the various members present here, replacing it with a gentle hand and an open mind.
There a few sights that allow the type of repartee that exists at Splash. That may be the biggest problem. However, judging from the amount of visitors to this sight, it may also be it`s biggest draw. Everybody loves a train wreck.
So, here is to Witt and Alan and all the people who keep this sight sizzling. Here is to the folks who moved on exploring their passion. Here is to the poets who come back, who never say quit. Here is to the windy, the disgruntled, the warriors and the lovers, the rhymers and the explorers, the cynics and the teachers.

Here is to free expression.

Here is to art!!
"Painting is poetry and poetry is painting with the gift of speech"...Simonides {556 B.C.-468 B.C.}

Offline EpylepticTrout

• Willows
  • Missed it by that much -Maxwell Smart
    • roadside savants
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 07:48 PM »
Witt,

I agree with Paul's assessment.  I enjoy your writing as well. If I only read the type of poetry I write, I would go insane...maybe too late for that. Reading more "conventional" poetry by yourself and people such as Kay, Hscable, Bill, bts, and on and on has opened my eyes to other avenues to explore as well as offering sanctuary to my own ranting lunacy.

So please, keep doing that voodoo you do so well.

shoe,

I agree with Paul's comments.

EpylepticTrout

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 11:53 PM »
...her patience toward a group that most often acts like an unruly class of seventh graders
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline hcscable

• Xanadu...Part Duex
  • Paragon
    • Xanadu
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28 AM »
A Friend:

I will trade you one PB and J for an apple and a semicolon!

Currently waiting for a hospital bed. Severe colitis may mean another operation. Hopefully I will not need the whole colon....hence the semicolon.

Oh! By the by. What happened to my marbles? I seem to be missing some.

Feverishly Yours,

Linda

Offline cy street

• Paragon
  • the sound you hear is life moving through me
    • another dam same river
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 03:31 AM »
a new website?  interesting mister bill?

[yt=425,350]AYN7OnkGV4g[/yt]

now was always better than then

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 05:09 AM »
Well You certainly have my sympathy Linda. I have a friend that suffers that syndrom and I know it's not fun. Best wishes to you.
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.