Author Topic: daisyxo: Interview with an original Splasher  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
daisyxo: Interview with an original Splasher
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:28 PM »
People, meet Marsha Franklin aka daisyxoSoft Words: What brought you to SplashHall several daisy-filled summers ago?   
daisyxo: Splash was in its early stages when I happened upon Rg with some fellow poets in the old Excite Chat - Virtual Places.  Several of us used to sit in a "room" that he had made with a fireplace.  We scrolled our poetry, threw around some ideas, and Splash suddenly began to grow.  Rg asked me to help and I said yes.  The essence of the Splash halls drew us in - and captured us all.

Soft Words: What keeps you here? 
daisyxo: Splash is always changing, always growing.  Like many others, I've checked out some of the other online poetry groups and none come close to the Splash family.  People here aren't afraid to show their talent, or to share vulnerability and versatility.  Even when I've taken time offline - when I come back there may be different people, but the charisma is still here.

Soft Words: Any favorite forum(s) and/or Splashers?
daisyxo: I love the interviews - they help remind us that there can be more to the poet than we see in the poems they post.  Sometimes you get an "aha" moment when you read about a person's life and their feelings.  It can put their writing in perspective.  Other times you can be taken totally off guard - and I like both.  Other than that I can't say I like any particular section better than the others.  There is so much to do depending on your time and mood.  Short and sweet -- zen, funny stuff -- and a great place to just read what others are feeling.  My favorite Splashers -- I have to say that I tend to read a lot of the seasoned members.  Some of them haven't been around for awhile and I'm hoping they'll find their way back soon.  I hesitate to name anyone in particular, because I'm just beginning to read some of the newer members.   

Soft Words: What inspired you to start writing?
daisyxo: My 7th grade English teacher.  She raved about some of the paragraphs and short stories I would write for assignments.  She told me one day that I would be a writer - and I laughed at her.  Her words stuck with me though.  I didn't begin writing poetry until around 1993.  I wanted to write children's stories and took some classes for that.  Between lessons I began experimenting with poetry.

Soft Words: What is your favorite kind of Poetry?
daisyxo: I love the sestina.  I don't think I've perfected my use of the form yet, but I've done a few and they really take you on the journey.  There are many other forms that I like, but overall it depends on my mood and how much time I have - and how much quiet I have.

Soft Words: I know you are skilled at working with pictures. When did this love affair start? Any interesting stories?
daisyxo: Way back in the good old days of Virtual Places (VP) -- a friend introduced me to the "Poetry Circle."  It was created and run by Bear1mage.  The concept was easy -- a different picture was posted on the site every 2 weeks.  Everybody wrote about the same picture and the poems were posted on the page beneath it.  We would meet on the site on a specific night and constructively discuss the poems.  It's amazing how many different viewpoints come from writing about the same picture.  I spent many years assisting with the site and some friends and I did a spin-off and created our own.  Eventually my friends drifted off and I kept my own site going for quite a while. 

Soft Words: You've made beautiful Av's for a lot of people, and you've got some beautiful ones up in your personal forum here. What goes into creating these?
daisyxo: Well first of all, thank you for the compliment.  Paint Shop Pro (PSP) is the program used to create the av's.  I log into VP to check out the "Paint Shop" sites (they're everywhere - sometimes I think we all have way too much time on our hands).  I collect background avs and now and then I'll go shopping for avs of ladies, men, pieces and parts, etc.  I usually begin by copying a background on top of a male or female av -- and then begin blending and using filters and other PSP tools to come up with something that looks appealing.  Sometimes I'll layer several avs to get the right blend.  One of the hardest parts for me is finding the right font for the name.  The font will make or break the av.  The ones I have posted in my personal forum here on Splash are for anyone to grab.  I love to paint them, but don't spend much time online anymore.  I can't wear them all myself - so please help yourself and if anyone has a special request, let me know. 

Soft Words: Poetry in words or poetry in pictures - which do you prefer?
daisyxo: I like them both.  I don't think I could confine myself to just one type.  The ideal is either a poem that creates a picture -- or a picture that speaks to you in poetry.  You can't get any better than that.  Sometimes the inspiration comes easier for me by way of a picture because that's what I spent so much time doing.  Other times the inspiration comes from thin air -- or the sky, or a tree.  I see poetry everywhere, in almost everything.  The things that I don't see poetry in - are just the things that I haven't explored yet - but it's there.

Soft Words: Lets play the three favorites game: your favorite poems, books, food.
daisyxo: There are very few poems that I've ever read that I don't enjoy reading over and over again.  A few of the old classic poets come to mind as my favorites though:  "Do not Stand at my Grave and Weep - by Percy Blysshe Shelley" -- "The Road Not Taken - by Robert Frost" -- "Annabel Lee, and The Raven - by Edgar Allan Poe" -- "She Walks in Beauty - by Lord Byron."

Favorite books:  Pencil Dancing by Mari Messer --- The Poetry Dictionary by John Drury --- The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling --- The Erotic Spirit (An Anthology of poems of sensuality, love, and longing - edited by Sam Hamill.

Food:  Over the years I've discovered that food is NOT my friend -- but of course, I do have some favorites -- the ones not good for me:  Lasagna -- Fettucini Alfredo (OMG, so good!).  On the lighter and much better for me -- I do love fresh fruit and fresh veggies (which I eat a lot of).  Until recently I wouldn't have let any of you see a picture -- Weight Watchers has helped me achieve some wonderful things over the last couple of years - and I'm still pursuing the me, that I used to be -- at least on the outside.  On the inside, I'm happy being the me that I am today.

Soft Words: Besides living behind a camera and playing with words, what do you do? I mean, you can't be all footloose and free, can ya?
daisyxo: Don't we all wish we could be footloose and free?  Most of the time I think I'd like that - but I know me, and I have to use my brain now and then.  I need challenges to move me forward - or I'm not happy.  As for my real job -- I work in Accounting for the major electric company in our area.  It isn't my dream job, but it has paid the bills for the last 21 years (and still going).  Outside of work I love spending time on crafts (beadwork, making jewelry), crocheting -- and I dabble in a few other things here and there.  My husband and I love to go to movies.  We get bored easily when it comes to being a couch potato so we strive to stay busy.

Soft Words: How much does Life intrude/influence your work?
daisyxo: I try to stay positive.  That isn't always easy the way things have been going for the last few years.  My family is first - then my work - so I don't feel like life is an intrusion.  If anything it's the other way around - work intrudes on my life.  Both are meant to be -- and both bring me stability, comfort, and blessings -- so I remind myself now and then to stop and count those blessings.

Soft Words: Any suggestions you might have for Rg to improve on your Splashing experience?
daisyxo: Rg has done a wonderful job with Splash --- and thanks also to all the wonderful hosts/hostesses - and the janitor - for keeping it in line and up-to-date -- fresh, and interesting.  I don't know what he could do to improve the halls - but if I think of anything I'll certainly speak up.

Soft Words: Anything special you'd like to say to everyone here?
daisyxo: I haven't spent as much time getting to know the newer poets as I did in the past.  It's mostly because I don't spend much time online anymore.  I do peek in quite a bit -- and sometimes I read, but don't have time to comment.  I just want everybody to know that if your poems aren't being commented on, pay attention to the number of times the poem has been looked at (read).  People are here, but some don't voice it -- don't let this discourage you from posting.  Without your posts (your presence), the halls will be bare.  Splash has changed a lot since it opened its doors - and it's been through many transitions.  All of it was out of caring and a need for fellow poets to have a place to go -- and grow -- and change.  The fusses and fights, the tension, people coming and going -- even the styles of writing changing with the times -- sharing your hopes and dreams and letting others be part of it -- it's all part of being a family.  So to everyone I say - there wouldn't be a Splash without you -- thanks for being here!
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
Re: daisyxo: Interview with an original Splasher
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:51 PM »
Marsha,

It's nice to see you and know your name. What a great interview.
Thanks to you and Arti.

Offline champagne_shoes

• Paragon
  • Subterranean Hotel Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 12:35 AM »
Daisyxo,

What a pleasure to read about a SplashHall pioneer. Your words are generous and kind, particularly when you say that the current generation of SplashHall guests continues to display charisma. Moreover, it is gracious of you to assure us that you are an interested reader. Perhaps one day soon you may choose to  post a few of your own offerings. I'd like to thank you and Arti for this fetchingly fine interview.

shoes
"A community of poets is like a community of cats." joey

Offline Marsupial Man

• Paragon
    • Marsupial Man (minimal thought)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 02:11 AM »
Thank you for being a pioneer to what I've come to enjoy.

Maybe, just maybe, you're tad bit punk.

Take care of yourself,

Paul

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 03:01 AM »
Well hi there Marsha, nice to meet you. I'll bet we've exchanged a sentence or two back in the old Excite forums. It's been a few years, but if you remember a wkpoet in there, that's me.
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

witt

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:09 AM »
What a wonderful interview! After all these years, there you are! How exciting. You were so gracious to me when I tentatively stepped into these halls. You made me feel welcome. I'm so glad to see you back visiting. I hope that you kick off your shoes and remain for a while this time.  XO

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:20 PM »
Nice to meet you, Marsha. Thanks, Arti, for the introduction. It seems we have a few things in common. Though it was my 9th grade English teacher who lauded my talents and implied that my chosen career would/should be in the writing field. (I attempted journalism, but it didn’t work out.)  She borrowed my journals, presumably to show me off, and 20 some-odd years later; she has yet to return them. lol No matter, I still have the first (and second) children’s story I ever wrote; tattered and wrinkled as they may be. I penned them in the second and fourth grades respectively. (They weren’t in any of my journals.) 
Only a few weeks ago I was discussing with Witt that peculiar discrepancy betwixt views and posts.
I did the math for her, and let her come to her own conclusion on the subject.  :blusmoke

:artist  :poet  :rose :rose :rose  :sunny
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline Allen

• Paragon
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Marsha ~ I share your appreciation of the interviews; and, I agree, they help to humanize members of our community.  In your case, I especially valued learning more about you.

Marsha is not simply one of the “original Splasher’s”:  While there was a predecessor to SplashHall, the boards as we know them were founded by CafeRg on September 14, 2002.  While technically, as founder, Rg was its first member, Marsha joined, as daisyxo on September 15th and became the second member.  daisyxo was followed on the 17th, by our third member Lady SunShine.

I can’t tell you how happy I am that you are still splashing with us, Marsha.   I hope that you will continue to grace our halls, in whatever way you feel comfortable, for a long time to come.  I will try to support you in whatever you wish to do; and, if you have any ideas, please feel free to run them by me.
Allen

An action promulgated out of desperation will inevitably end in tragedy; for as its anagram so aptly foretells:  A rope ends it. �

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 03:39 AM »
Goodness, I didn't expect this much so quickly.  I've had internet problems all evening and couldn't get in here.  You are all too sweet, and for those who don't like to be called sweet --- well, how about kind, gracious ... how about you're all just great!

:hearts

Arti --- thank you so much for the great introduction.  Perhaps some day I'll have something worthy of posting in the Ax -- for now I'll just take in what others are offering.  I do appreciate your compliments and the time in the Splashlight.

:wine

Kay --- thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read the interview.  It's always good to see you.

:rose

Shoes --- glad to see you back -- thanks for the kind words -- I think my head is swelling just a bit.  Oh, and I love the sparkles!  I believe there's a pair of "shoes" in one of my boutiques.

:comfort

Paul --- Those were exciting days when we were pioneering this place.  I enjoyed it.  Not quite sure what you mean about me possibly being a bit "punk" --- I may be a bit of a rebel at times maybe, have a tad bit of a wild side here and there -- but never saw myself as punk.  Anyway, thanks for stopping by and reading -- and sharing your thoughts.

:coffee

A-Friend --- it's nice to meet you, too -- and yes, it's possible.  I also hung out quite a bit in Ninian's Poetry Cafe.  Remember when they put the voice chat in?  50 people in the room and observe filled to the max.  There hasn't been a chat since then that even comes close to that atmosphere.

:dblu

Witt --- aaahhh thanks -- and I'm happy that you felt welcome.  Don't worry - I'm not going anywhere for too long.  The children always come home - especially when the door is always open. 

:artist

Mystic --- a pleasure to meet you, too.  I wish I had kept some of the things I wrote when I was younger.  At the time I didn't see the value.  Hold onto those stories and pass them down through the family.  A regift that I'm sure they will appreciate.  Thanks for stopping in to read my interview.

:poet

Allen --- you are so kind to say such good things.  Yes, I'm one of the "oldies" around here.  I have some fond memories of the time spent with Rg, and LadySunshine - and many others spent creating the forums - holding poetry readings in VP - kicking ideas around to improve and expand.  Rg started Splash in Community Zero, then moved to a couple other forums (that I can't remember the names of right now) --- each time it got better and better.  If I ever get my muse back, I'll try to participate more.  For now I'm visiting and reading and spending time with my favorite type of peeps - poets and artists.  Some day you'll have to tell me how you got Rg to lend the janitor title -- he was the only one for a very long time -- but, IMHO he couldn't have chosen a better one.

:yinyang

Take Care Everybody :)
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline fragments

• Paragon
    • poetypoem.com/fragments
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 06:33 AM »
So nice to put a face on the posts--
(Sounds like you are impailed)
You know what I mean

great interview--

You always have comments that uplift--and that adds to your persona

Nice to meet you :sunny
The clouds told him their names, in the quiet of the summer afternoon
Charles Simic from "The World Doesn't End"

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 10:48 PM »
fragments --- it's great to meet you, too ... and thank you for the compliments.  That's one thing I've always tried to do - is inspire some hope in others and to keep things heading in a positive direction.  I'm telling ya, it's difficult to stay positive, but the alternative is a lot worse!  oh, and btw, I'm so glad you liked your new pair of hurricane shoes. 

Thanks for coming by :)
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline Lone_er

• Alley Cat
  • Russ
    • Some of My Poetry
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 02:08 AM »
It's very good to hear from you again Daisy.  It's been quite a while hasn't it?  You brought a smile to my face when you mentioned the old fireplace.  I guess time really does fly doesn't it?  I just wanted you to know the spots still open on our cloud.  I can honestly say that of all the poetry I've read anywhere, and God knows we read our share , yours are some of the best.  Yes, I am including the classics poets as well.

My very best to you and Saxman and your whole family.  God bless... Russ
Russ

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 02:46 PM »
Russ ....... Time flies without a doubt -- it seems like only yesterday we gathered in VP at the old fireplace -- yet, it also seems another lifetime since Excite Superchat, Halsoft, and Yakkity Yak.  I never seemed to fit in at Voodoo and Second Life.  But, as long as the spot on the cloud is still open, there will always be poetry and hope, and heartfelt sentiments.  You have always been a great inspiration to me.  Thank you for stopping in, and for the kind compliments.
~ Marsha ~

Offline Rach

• Paragon
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Daisy:
I really enjoyed reading your interview.  You really have a way with words, and somehow juggle many talents.  Congratulations.  Thanks for your contribution to Splash.