Author Topic: Meet Petro  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
Meet Petro
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:41 AM »
[float=left]3466-0[/float]Dear Splashers, meet Petro a.k.a. Maynard Hartman. This delightful, pleasant guy is one of the oldest Splashers hanging around these halls. He is one of those writers who can touch the reader’s soul with a raw, unfinished write. I’ve yet to see him be anything but nice. He has a sense of humor without having to try too hard (he sent me these answers within 45 minutes of my sending him the questions), and a depth of understanding that amazes me.
Maynard, its been a treat interviewing you. Thank you for your patience and your willingness to work with me here.

SW: What brought you to SplashHall all those moons ago?
Petro: This is a great question, yet requires some thought. Let me say that in the early 2000's I thought...Hey I want to write poetry. That was all well and good. But like most poets; without an audience, heh what's the point. So, thinking I was actually a 'good' poet I began posting all over the InterNet. Oh Boy...I soon found out that 'I sucked', and what a mine field it is out there. For awhile I sank in to the vitriolic world of hack and carve poetry. Thankfully, in due course, I discovered SplashHall. Where; I could post and no one told me to go kill myself.
Or asked me if I were a cutter; pathetic or otherwise needing the guillotine.
I became hooked. It's is hard to explain how it feels (heh and I'm a poet :) to be so welcomed.

SW: What keeps you here?
Petro: The forgiveness of those wiser than myself.

SW: Do you have any favorite Splashers?
Petro: Oh god, how unfair. Witt does for my mind what CoCo Channel did for the female figure. She alone possesses the power to make me feel guilty for not being more than I am :).

SW: What inspired you to start writing?
Petro: A nuclear belch...that said write or shut up

SW: Who/what has influenced your poetry most?
Petro: Most people aren't going to like this answer; I'm not a lover of poetry. I'm a lover of any mind that tries... S. Dali explains my mind (sorry to ride his genius)

SW: What are you besides a poet?
Petro: Hmmm...I am nothing if not a satyre.

{SW: Maynard recently informed me the correct answer to this question is that he is “a wannabe paperback writer.” A satirical paperback? Can I get an autographed copy? Kthanks. }

SW: Tell me about your muse... is she a ballerina, a fiend with a crossbow, a pixie, or is she a he?
Petro: I have no muse. Just what I've experienced, and those that helped me do it.

SW: Which are your favorite poems?
Petro: I don't read poetry...But I have read V.Woolf and Poe so ...yeah

SW: What would you tell someone who is just beginning to write their own poetry?
Petro: Forget format, forget criticism, forget english class, write what your heart/mind tells you...later you can figure it out.

SW: Which books would you recommend everyone should read atleast once?
Petro: Lewis B. Carrol.

SW: Any suggestions you might have for Rg to improve on your Splashing experience?
Petro:Not fair. Rg...is Jesus...Rg is a gem. Does he have a gold Bandanna?
Rg should have thrown me outta here long time ago.  He didn't...In fact one day when I freaked out (don't ask) and I decided
to delete all my poems, etc.  He stopped me...Hard Stop...Months later I'm thinking...what a friend...because I didn't have a backup.

SW:  Anything special you'd like to say to everyone here?
Petro: Please...Please...keep being yourself. Be Bizarre. Be Contro...dont hurt the young people but keep being...The louder people protest the smaller their arguments become. Rg is one of those truely special people...He needs to know that, if nothing more...
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

witt

Re: Meet Petro
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 05:42 AM »
Ah, petro. My "bee" man. I really enjoyed the interview. Wanna be a PB writer? Well, then hack away. I believe you have the talent. Keep on "beeing" you.

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:34 AM »
Great interview Petro, and good to meet you. I remember you as being the very first to comment in Black History back in 2005.
I've silently followed your writings and regard you as a gentleman.
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline Allen

• Paragon
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Hi, my friend, it is really good to see you here at last.  It's good to 'hear your voice'.  You really are on of the oldest spashers, and one of my first friends.
Allen

An action promulgated out of desperation will inevitably end in tragedy; for as its anagram so aptly foretells:  A rope ends it. �

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:44 AM »
You sound like an honest, kind, caring, and real individual.  :rose

Offline champagne_shoes

• Paragon
  • Subterranean Hotel Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 12:51 PM »
I enjoyed this interview thoroughly. Thank you both for your engaging collaboration. But now I have my questions. I'll begin with just a few, to be disregarded or indulged according to your inclination:

(1) Petro, how has being an on again-off-again resident of SplashHall affected your poetry?
(2) Do you recall (roughly) how many members there were when you first joined?
(3) Did you prefer Through the Looking Glass or Adventures in Wonderland?
(4) What are your editorial (revision) strategies?

okay..... one more. I cannot resist:

Which literary figure do you identify with the most deeply?

"A community of poets is like a community of cats." joey

Offline WordFaery

• Paragon
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 02:06 PM »
Good to meet the man behind the name.

When you said, "Forget format, forget criticism, forget english class, write what your heart/mind tells you...later you can figure it out,"   I cannot agree more.

Write on!

WordFaery
(old timer)
"Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame."      W.B. Yeats

Word Faery

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 03:28 PM »
petro,

thanks for the smile.
you're a patient guy, and i agree with A-Friend, you're a gentleman.

:)
Arti.
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline elise

• Alley Cat Assistant
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 01:38 AM »
Hi Petro...I always liked your stuff.   From the start...way back in the dark ages of SPLASH!   Good to read your interview and to hear from you again!  Keep on writing!   
 :sunny
I felt it shelter to speak to you  ~Emily Dickinson

Offline petro

• Paragon
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:22 PM »
I just want to give a big :wave: and thank you to all for the warm welcome. Thank you for commenting, and Thank You SoftWrods for approaching
me and being patient with my pic, etc.

Cheers Splashers.

and now for something completely different...

I enjoyed this interview thoroughly. Thank you both for your engaging collaboration. But now I have my questions. I'll begin with just a few, to be disregarded or indulged according to your inclination:

(1) Petro, how has being an on again-off-again resident of SplashHall affected your poetry?

Well I would say that my 'on again-off-again resident', is a side effect of ADD.  I use poetry as instant gratification. 
     Splash has allowed me to do this and I always receive a warm rewelcome.  I don't stay away because I want to
     it is usually because I'm absorbed in another project.

(2) Do you recall (roughly) how many members there were when you first joined?
     I don't at least not accurately, but it seems like 20-30 regulars.  Hrmm maybe someone can help me with that.

(3) Did you prefer Through the Looking Glass or Adventures in Wonderland?

Through the Looking Glass.

(4) What are your editorial (revision) strategies?

(If I have one), it's distance and time.  I am wholely lousy at editing my own work.  Time and distance
    does improve the odds.

okay..... one more. I cannot resist:

Which literary figure do you identify with the most deeply?

I'm going to say, Raymond Carver.  But, there has to be others in there somewhere.

Petro
"...I know you wont kill me,
but I wonder sometimes..."
(Bowie)

Offline fragments

• Paragon
    • poetypoem.com/fragments
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Always a pleasure to read your poems--
You are a thoughtful, inciteful, inspirational poet
It was great to see behind the curtain
The clouds told him their names, in the quiet of the summer afternoon
Charles Simic from "The World Doesn't End"

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 09:24 PM »
hey Petro ..... enjoyed your interview ... and keep on coming and going, as it suits you -- always a warm welcome waiting for your return.  Once a Splasher, always a Splasher!

:yinyang
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline Lady SunShine

• Senior Alley Hostess
  • Awaken Dreamer
    • http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/ladysunshine/Sunshine'World.html
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 02:46 PM »
wite on Petro
so good to read more about you
you have a awesome way with words and expressions that make the reader want more
Never Let Yesterday's Pain
Ruin Tomorrow's Dreams

Offline Rach

• Paragon
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Petro:
I enjoyed your interview.  I'm glad you are here at Splash and willing to participate and share your talent.  I look forward to reading more of your work.