Author Topic: Mystic-al Interview  (Read 8396 times)

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
Mystic-al Interview
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Hi Everyone

I’m back! Yay! Sorry about the disappearing act, med school took over life and a lot more, but that is a tale for another place.
Meet Gary Payne a.k.a. Mystic1, a poet from Texas. He graciously agreed to be my comeback interviewee… (thank you, Gary). He leaves footprints all over these halls, with wonderful comments and awesome poetry. He also appears to have varied interests and interesting stories, like the time he helped a neighbor give birth to a baby girl in his own bed… he was twenty, with no medical training, at the time. He also has a  sense of humor, which is evident in his answers below… okay, I won’t keep you any more, go ahead and read the interview.

3183-0

Soft Words:
What brought you to Splashhall?
Mystic1: I was floating about one day. Surfing for poetry (er, um, cough well, something starting with P anyway.) Cruising down the Superhighway I came upon an alley. Heard this great Jazz trio and decided to check it out. I guess you could say, the Music of the Spheres led me to Splash.

Soft Words: What keeps you here?
Mystic1: The other Splashers, of course. They're wonderful Poets. The great atmosphere. But, the free drinks were the clincher.

Soft Words: Any favorite forum(s) and/or Splashers?
Mystic1: That's the great thing about Splash, There's something here for whatever mood I'm in. My first post was in the Erotic forums, that's always a favorite of mine. But the multitude of different poets and styles inspired me to branch out even further in my own writing.
All the Splashers are excellent poets in their own right and they all bring such diverse ideas to the table.
But if I HAD to choose. How much time do you have?
I guess I'd have to say Rg, our illustrious leader. Witt, Kay, and Fragments.
Rg was first in line to comment and encourage me in my postings.
Witt, just because she reads everything I post, no matter what it is. Her gentle editorial nudges keep me on the right track.
Kay, her Haiku Tag ushered me into months of experimentation with a form I had not tried before.
And last, but by no means least, Master Fragments. His insight, wisdom, and gentle guidance helped me to decipher all those confusing signs on the road to better Haiku.
Those are just four off the top of my head, but I am grateful to everyone here at Splash for assisting me to become a better poet.

Soft Words: What inspired you to start writing?
Mystic1: I suppose it was my grandmother and the Bard himself.
She was a voracious reader. She gave me a book of Shakespeare’s plays and I read Romeo and Juliet for the first time when I was six. Now, I’m not saying I understood it all. But through my grandmother’s introduction, Shakespeare’s use of language, and my trusty Webster’s; I discovered a fascination for words which has only grown over the years. I figured, if he could do it. I could too.

Soft Words: Is your muse a mystic faery or a mystic fiend?
Mystic1: I guess that really depends on the mood she’s in.
Sometimes, she’s loving and kind, offering her poetry freely. A poem will sometimes pop into existence fully formed and I simply write it down.
Now she is most often a mischievous prankster who makes me work for every phrase.

Soft Words: What is your favorite kind of poetry?
Mystic1: I’m eclectic and my sign is Cancer so my moods change by the minute. I literally read everything on the boards at Splash. My favorite to write, though, is erotica. You know, it helps to keep the ladies on their toes, so to speak. I’m sure Shoes appreciates a good toe point (or curl) now and then.

Soft Words: Tell me about the creatures in the fog... (or smog... as you see it)
Mystic1: I’ve met many denizens of the Ether. Everything from J. R. R. Tolkien, peopled with Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, and Dragons. I can’t forget Dante and Milton; their views of Heaven, Hell, and the Human Condition. They’ve all enlightened and informed my poetic sense.

Soft Words: What do you do besides being an active poet?
Mystic1: As you can gather from my previous answer, I read. s LOT! I also like Sci-Fi movies, music, I’m a history buff and I love to cook. Mostly I like long walks, poetry, and poking dead things with a stick.

Soft Words: Any suggestions you might have for Rg to improve on your Splashing experience?
Mystic1: Um, let’s see...clothing optional Fridays might be a nice change of pace.

Soft Words: Anything special you’d like to say to everyone here?
Mystic1: I just want to say thank you all, for welcoming a wayward stranger into your midst and making me feel at home here.
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

witt

Re: Mystic-al Interview
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:01 AM »
I enjoyed his very much!

Where's the picture?? Not fair!

Offline champagne_shoes

• Paragon
  • Subterranean Hotel Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:31 AM »
HiYa Gary,

And so Arti choreographs another delightful interview. I am charmed. Reading this has inspired me to visit the Erotica floor. I hope to read my way right through to the koan of you.

shoes
"A community of poets is like a community of cats." joey

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Gary,

it's nice to know you and your name. I enjoy your Haiku
and your replies and posts. You look very nice.  :coffee

witt

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Aha! There was no picture there at 6 a.m. Nowwww, I see it. Thanks, O Mis-tickle One!

Offline Rach

• Paragon
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Hi Gary.  It's nice to officially meet you.  You're answers to these questions were amazing and amusing.  I think it's important to always have a good sense of humor.  One of the best lessons is learning to laugh.  And, it keeps the wrinkles away!  haha.  Anyway, just one pointer.  I wouldn't get too dependent on the Webster because some how, and I haven't quite figured it out, but Witt always seems to find a new word that Webster has not discovered!!  LOL!!  Just like a teacher to keep the tips of your toes sore.  :)  Anyway, maybe I'm using the wrong Webster.  She's always telling me to get a hardback rather than the online version!

Long story short:  thanks for the great interview.  Sounds like you have many great interests.

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 06:41 PM »
Thank you all so very much.  :hearts The interview was great fun. And please, call me G. Everyone does.

As always, Witt is first. Remember Mistress Witt, patience is a virtue.
Though you may lose both, patience is the only one of the two which you can retrieve.

Miss Grace, bows and sweeps hat a fitting name indeed. Surely you are not lacking in so enchanting a quality as charm. Color me envious.
The pleasure is all mine.
Yes, Arti is a bit of a taskmaster. But the end result, the elegance of her  dance, is flawless. Though I admit the arabesques were tough in my size 13 toe shoes. No doubt she has taken pointers from you.
There are many of my pieces in the erotica forum, and a few haiku which may possess an ever so slilghtly blueish tint. If you have any difficulty locating a particular poem, contact me and I would be happy to supply you with a list of titles. I am currently in the process of engineering new and varied constructs in the erotic genre to pique your intrest.
If you tire of simple poetic passtimes, may I direct your attention to Taboo, my debut foray into the realm of erotic short stories? It comes highly recommended by Miss Gavi.

Ah, Miss Kay, your eloquence is impeccable. Your unspoiled poetic vision is always a wonderful surprise. I must give credit where credit is due. My daily ritual of responding to the varied and sundry mix of haiku threads has kept my skills sharpened. I thank you most graciously.

Ms. Rach, 'tis true, Mistress Witt's command of the language often astounds even me. One who, in his youth, would pour over his dictionary (One of the half dozen of so, now ancient, hardback editions in my collection.) as though it were Holy Scripture.  the oldest of which being:

Funk & Wagnalls
New Standard Dictionary
of the
english language
copyright 19 hundred and 16

The youngest is a Webster's Collegiate yet even that is three years old.
Pehaps I should endeavor to update my copy?

As the old adage goes: Laughter is the best medicine.
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
We are able to laugh when we achieve detatchment, if only for a moment.
                                                                                                         ~May Sarton
It's true, life is tough, thus, my life in particular, renders me hilarious.  ;D
If I didn't laugh, I'd cry...if I lost that many tears, I'd dehydrate.

Again, my most humble thanks to all. Oh, and Arti, you are much too kind.  :blusmoke

I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline gavigavi

• Top Cat
  • Let me derail your brain.......
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 07:20 PM »
nice to meet you Mystic1 but once again you already knew what I was going to say for you are the neighborhood mystic.   ;D

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 08:22 PM »
still your own heartbeat
attempt to learn one's nature
momentary lapse

The fact that I am familiar with you is quite evident.
The true question one should ask oneself is,
not how well someone else knows them,
but how aware you are of yourself.  ;D

I count myself blessed to know such a wondrous soul as yours.
But of course, you knew I would say that.  :blusmoke
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline Allen

• Paragon
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 08:56 PM »
Hi G,

It is so nice to read about you, and put a physical picture to my mental picture of your face.  I have noticed your strong contribution over the last couple of months.  I hope you continue to feel welcome, and stick around for a long time to come.

Poetry can be very helpful in making you smile, where crying can be an option, can't it?
Allen

An action promulgated out of desperation will inevitably end in tragedy; for as its anagram so aptly foretells:  A rope ends it. �

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 09:44 PM »
No worries. Allen. My relationship with Splash parallels a marriage. I'll stick around as long as you'll have me...or until my untimely demise. Whichever comes first. Course, unlike most marriages, if we do part ways; I'm certain it will be an amicable split. (No expensive lawyers need be involved.) And I trust you'll not abscond with half my belongings. After all, I know where to find you.

Poetry can be very helpful in making you smile, where crying can be an option, can't it?

Quite true. I find no matter the chill of one's circumstance, the warmth of one's companions contiually elicits mirth.  :blusmoke

Offline WordFaery

• Paragon
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 10:26 PM »
G,

Great to be able to put a face with the poetic voice.   I enjoy your writing very much.

Marge

"WordFaery"
"Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame."      W.B. Yeats

Word Faery

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 01:09 AM »
Thank you, Marge. I find your work a pleasant distraction as well.  It's always nice to know to whom you speak.  :blusmoke

Offline carrie

• Top Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Its nice reading a little bit more about you.