Author Topic: 9yr Old Banned From Youth BaseBall League for Being Too Good!  (Read 10529 times)

Offline 7

• Paragon
click-->9yr Old Banned From Youth Baseball League for Being Too Good!<--click

This story has hit home. I have a son who plays organized sports; pop warner, and little league baseball.
I have sat by for almost a decade and watched the clicky politics that rear their ugly head every year.

And now, I have seen everything. This 9yr old boy, Jericho Scott, banned from baseball for being too good.

Here is the argument for the banning:

1) safety- league officials fear for the safety of the other 8, 9, 10yr olds

2) development, and competition issues- they want a fair playing field

Thats it, so they banned this 9yr old because other children cant hit off of him,
and the parents are afraid their child might get hit by a ball.

let me reiterate that just for dramatic purposes:

They banned this 9yr old because other children cant hit off him,
and the parents are afraid their child might get hit by a ball.

Heres what I think,
If you don't want a competitive atmosphere (yes, competitive meaning that there will be better athletes out there than your child)
then do not enroll him/her in youth sports, try drama classes, or arts and crafts. If you dont want your child getting hit by a baseball, STAY AWAY FROM BASEBALL FIELDS! Remove YOUR child from the game.

Introductory leagues are for smaller children, they don't keep score, and everyone gets a chance to play every position.
Its introductory and its for small underage children learning the fundamentals, and developing a love for the game.

8, 9, & 10 yr olds compete, they are playing, and being coached to win.

This kid was in the appropriate age group, playing against his friends,
and beating every last one of them, and hasn't beaned another kid all season.

Why didn't they make this safety decision during the off season?
HE HASN'T BEANED (hit) ANOTHER KID ALL SEASON!!!

Heres the truth...
The kid refused to play for a team that has league management connections, a defending championship team
that wanted this 9yr old to pitch for them. The kid refused, and his team went 8-0, and now they decide to ban
him as the team, he now plays for, edges towards a playoff spot.

Why didn't they make this safety decision during the off season?

Answer: The parents, and the league are a bunch of jealous haters.

The parents of the other athletes in this league, who supported the banning, don't understand competition.
They are in denial of the reality that their child just isn't as good as the next, and don't even have the ballz
to admit such, they hide behind the safety issue.

A youth league that is just like any league, corrupt from within, rotting from the head down, that cares more
about the adults better interests then their children, acted like children themselves, and lashed out.

Adults should lead by example.

Youth sports are all about healthy competition, and have lessons about team work that transcend the game,
life lessons that stretch far beyond the baseball diamond, or football field.

What this league, and the parents are teaching their children, and every other child who has read,
watched on TV, or heard of this story is:

That doing your best, and being the best at what you do.... is punishable?

What a (expletive)'ing disgrace, the league officials, and every parent who supports this ban, should be ashamed of themselves.

Offline A-FRIEND

• Education Through History
  • Alley Host
    • n/a
Re: 9yr Old Banned From Youth BaseBall League for Being Too Good!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:02 PM »
I read that story a couple of days ago. With the exception of the unnesessary expletive, I agree with you.
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline 7

• Paragon
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 05:14 AM »

With the exception of your unnecessary opinion on my choice of expletives, thanks.

Offline Mystic1

• Senior Alley Host
  • To know virtue, acquaint yourself with vice.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 05:28 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree. (expetive included.)

Not only this story. (Keeping with the baseball theme) I saw this morning a spectator at the Yankees/Red Sox game got booted during the seventh inning stretch rendition of God Bless America for being unpatriotic cause he got up to take a leak. I say piss on 'em and sell your season tickets. Of course he's chosen to sue the Yanks for their infringement on his right to pee. 

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. -- Thomas Jefferson  :blusmoke
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Offline A-FRIEND

• Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:49 AM »
TL7, it's called propriety.
We have women, older folks and children reading these boards. My grandchildren read this board. There is a time and place for the shock value of expletives, but to expose us all to it in a forum for general conversation is disrespectfull.  I wouldn't use that language around your women or children. 
Just a friendly reminder, there is a place reserved in splash if you feel the need to use that kind of language.
Stop looking at the light. Instead, look at what is being illuminated by the light.

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 07:03 PM »
T, I agree that it is a terrible thing for this child to be
excluded for such a reason as stated.

Just a friendly reminder, there is a place reserved in splash if you feel the need to use that kind of language

I'm also wondering where this place is on the boards
for special language? This is news to me :) A Friend,
I honestly don't know.

Offline A-FRIEND

• Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Hello Kay. There was a heated discussion on language and profanities in the general topics of few years ago. That's when RG, or mabe it was Allen, created the Erotica section. Folks can go there and have at it.

I'm reminded of what my 3rd grade English teacher told me back in the 50s. If one has to use vulgarities, it demonstrates a weak vocabulary and a lack of command  of the English language.
I come from a law enforcement background and I've worked in a state prison, I was a PI for awhile and I've been a truck driver for some time as well, so I've heard it all.
I'm not a prude, but I do beleive there is a time and place for things. If one knows they are in a public place with women and children about, it is my unaplogetic belief they should be given respect.

By the way, I hope you are feeling better.

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Thanks, I didn't have a clue as to what you meant.  :coffee

Offline 7

• Paragon
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 04:15 AM »
TL7, it's called propriety.
We have women, older folks and children reading these boards. My grandchildren read this board. There is a time and place for the shock value of expletives, but to expose us all to it in a forum for general conversation is disrespectfull.  I wouldn't use that language around your women or children. 
Just a friendly reminder, there is a place reserved in splash if you feel the need to use that kind of language.

There was a heated discussion on language and profanities in the general topics of few years ago. That's when RG, or mabe it was Allen, created the Erotica section. Folks can go there and have at it.

I'm reminded of what my 3rd grade English teacher told me back in the 50s. If one has to use vulgarities, it demonstrates a weak vocabulary and a lack of command  of the English language.
I come from a law enforcement background and I've worked in a state prison, I was a PI for awhile and I've been a truck driver for some time as well, so I've heard it all.
I'm not a prude, but I do beleive there is a time and place for things. If one knows they are in a public place with women and children about, it is my unaplogetic belief they should be given respect.

By the way, I hope you are feeling better.

Okay, I don't want to argue, I just want a chance to respond,
and if you feel a need to get the last word in edgewise,
well then, I'll leave you the floor.

First things first:

Cuss words, or no cuss words, I would never put a thread called "9yr Old banned form Youth Baseball" in the erotica area, sorry.
That area is designed for art; poetry, and written verse regarding human sexuality. It is not a dumping ground for naughty words.

Yet, I do understand the need to guard children from adult oriented areas, as I have children of my own who go online.
To be honest, I would not let my children visit this particular website because of the "erotica" area, and not to mention
that this site deals with adult poetry, ones innermost feelings. There are lots of adult subjects, and discussions here.

Things that I would not want my children exposed to until they were mature enough.

My apologies if I upset your whole family with my post, I will edit that word.

~7

Offline Marsupial Man

• Paragon
    • Marsupial Man (minimal thought)
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 06:09 AM »
Oh, I hear you T7L -- on two topics. The sports: it's bullshit. Just like the no child left behind crap -- It's f'n bull crap. Some children are flippin' genius. Some are morons. The vast majority are average. That's life. Standard deviations from the norm -- one way or the other.

Language issues? The erotica forum is about erotica.

The whole internet is a place of potential whoopsies.

I never considered this place, Splashhall, a place for children. When I allow my child free reign on the internet, well, jimmineecricket, he'll be an adult/adolescent.

He has heard me cuss, and I have apologized for cussing.

He ain't a genius. He ain't suckin' his toes in school. He's just a decent kid.

I've never seen anything written/presented in these Halls that would freakin' hurt a child.

My god: Britney Spears, Bratz Dolls, Barbie Dolls for that matter, the 6 o'clock news, freakin' goin' to school and being exposed to all the children who do not have involved parents/or an involved parent. Schools that are teaching beastiality as an alternative life style. Let's be concerned about that.

I'll expand one step further: I'm sick and tired of society constantly trying to sanatize everything in this world for children. Some places are for adults.  I think Splashall is one of them places for adults/adolescents.

I'm overly emphasizing my point to make a point.

PSM

Offline Kay

• Serene
  • Paragon
    • poetry
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 01:36 PM »
I wanted to also add that I think it was handled awful.
Instead of "banning" this small child, someone should have
stepped up and done something constructive. Whether that
would mean suggest another team, another coach, something.
By doing what they did, they have told this child that to be good
is wrong. I had 3 kids who played softball and volleyball for years.
I don't think their coaches ever forgot the fact these were

kids

for crying out loud.

But I did witness parents acting crazy, getting all caught up in the
game and all that went with it. But this, this is really very wrong
because it tears down the child's spirit and does nothing to reinforce
his abilities. It does nothing to set example or show him he isn't the problem
at all.

Offline A-FRIEND

• Alley Host
    • n/a
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 04:40 PM »
Thank you TL7, that was kind of you.

Marsupial Man:
I'll expand one step further: I'm sick and tired of society constantly trying to sanatize everything in this world for children. Some places are for adults.  I think Splashall is one of them places for adults/adolescents.

You missed the whole point of what I was saying.
First of all I don't allow my grandchildren free reign on the computer. We are on line together, or, at the least, I'm in the same room, as the computer is in my den.

Second, I have never cursed in the presence of my parents, children, or grandchildren. I make that point only to say its not an impossible task. Your admission that you immediatly apologise to your kids on the occasion that you do sets a fine example, but doesn't that also confirm my point that the kind of language one uses in the presence children should not be vulgar?

I know there are adult conversations here in splash and I don't shield them from serious topics, but this is a poetry and general conversation board as well.
My whole point is, in the areas of general conversation, we need to be aware of our visitors. That has zero to do with sanitizing everything for children.

Beyond that, I simply fail to see why cleaning things up in the general areas is such a problem. Are we so far evolved that this is something to be ridiculed? I realize I'm not going to get any agreement if that is the case, which in it self is sad.

Someone has to be the voice in any society to call attention to these types of things, even though that someone knows he/she may go out on the proverbial limb. I don't mind being that voice. After all, isn't a reminder to be more respectful something we all do from time to time?

witt

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 04:54 PM »
I believe that you used the wrong word here, FRIEND. "Are we so far evolved that this is something to be ridiculed?"
I believe the better word would be devolved.

I'll crawl out on that limb with you. This was not the place for this word.

Offline Marsupial Man

• Paragon
    • Marsupial Man (minimal thought)
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 11:44 PM »
a-friend,

i owe you an apology. my response was unwarranted.

take care,

Paul