Author Topic: A Poetic Journey  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
  • Soft words falling... gently... fading away into time
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
A Poetic Journey
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:42 AM »
Once upon a time, there was a little girl who loved to play, but had very few friends because she was so shy. She spent a lot of time trying to scare up imaginary playmates. After all, there is only so much that she could play with dolls. For most part though, she got on her mother's fraying nerves begging her to come to play.

This went on for a few years. Until, when the little girl turned seven, her mother hit on a brilliant idea. One day, she sat the little girl in the kitchen and stuck a storybook in her little hands. For the next three hours, Mommy napped peacefully, and her big girl found a new, colorful world to wander into at will. Best of all, that world was pliant and accomodating, and wouldn't change no matter how bad she was. She was hooked.

But in a couple of months, the plan began to backfire - the little girl finished reading and rereading all the books she could lay her hands on, and she drove her mother up the wall with pleas for new books. So Mommy put plan B into action, and sat the little girl with her, while reading her Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe. She explained that immortal poem to her eager, story-loving daughter all those years ago... and for her birthday, gave her a book of classic poems, from Shakespeare to William Blake. That was the beginning of an addiction...

In a year, the little girl started writing her own poems and reading them out to her Mommy on sleepy sunday afternoons. Her mother offered her critique and taught her to use a dictionary to correct her spelling and find new words. She collected more poetry books and collections, never tiring of re-re-re-re-re-...-reading them.

The little girl grew up, had some poems published in school journals and newspapers. Then she made career choices that were diagonally opposite from poetry... She kept fighting the good fight, and eventually won herself a plum scholarship to do medicine at a small, friendly university. It was there that she rediscovered poetry - she discovered different forms of poetry, and most importantly she discovered equally poetry-crazy people at poetry websites. She made new friends, and met wonderful poets at these communities.

She came to befriend a certain very talented poetess, Sandy, at one of these places. Sandy took her by the hand, and led the eager girl to a warm, oceany community called Splashhall. That was a year ago.

She positively fell in love with the board, signed up and became an active member. She made wonderful new friends, learnt to edit her own poems better, and she learnt to appreciate and critique poetry.  A little while before Christmas that year, she was made SplashScribe, so she got to interview people and meet new people.

That year was a mixed one - she went home after three years of studying, to study still more for a crazy exam, survived a major break-up, almost flunked her preliminary exam immediatly thereafter, but rallied to get that exam done and put out of the way. She celebrated her results with all her friends... Had too much free time to handle, so she put her frustration into action with her muse and poured out her muse's blood into the poems she posted. Today, that girl is leading a very crazy life as a student - both a medical student and a student of poetry... More hooked onto poetry than ever!

Obviously, that little girl is me. Thank you for a very memorable year... I'm blessed to have shared so much with so many wonderful people. Thank you for all your support, friendship and poetry... I can never explain completely what a comfort it is to read your poetry. And yes, my mother is as much in love with poetry and literature as me, and she reads my work sometimes. I still have the first book of poems she gifted me, and it is as much a comfort as ever. Here's to one year of Splashing... and hopefully, many more to come.  :wine
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline fchisholm

• Cool Cat
Re: A Poetic Journey
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 02:46 AM »
Congratulations on a year at splashhall and passing your exam.  Speaking as someone who has spent more time than he'd like around medical institutions the last three years -  medicine needs more poets!   Hope you have continued success in your studies and still have the time to keep an eye on us here at splashhall.

Offline A_Mourning_Glory

• LOOK AT THE STARS...LOOK HOW THEY SHINE FOR YOU (Coldplay)
  • Paragon
  • Chandelier Dazzler
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:59 PM »
Arti ~

This is wonderful.  I heard Disney's WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR, MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHO YOU ARE.....
I loved reading about your earlier years and about your mother's influence in your life throughout.  We are
privileged to have you here with us at SplashHall.  After reading this, there's no doubt you are an inspiration
for many to "not to give up" and you can beat the tough times and reach your goals, see your dreams come true!

Here's to one year !!!   :wine        and looking to many many more!   :wine :wine :wine

:sunny  Kindest regards,
Cherri
"I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine."
....Spike Milligan (1918-2002)...

Offline nite

• Top Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 04:17 AM »
Soft Words,

What a wonderful story - even better for being true. Have you considered submitting it to readers digest? Congrats on the year in splash I am so glad you are here and I have had the chance to meet you.

:wine

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:00 AM »
Thank you so much for all your warm words.  :rose :rose :rose
Perhaps that autobiography I've been intending to start for the last fifteen years wont be so boring, after all!  :tongue

Tim, I'm sorry you got to know my fraternity more intimately than you would have liked to - I've a rule - I never tell a patient "See you soon/around!" - Its a virtual guarantee they'll walk right back into the ER within the next couple of days. Medicine and poets - there have been poets in medicine before - I'll pm you the names after I look it up in my little black book :kool. (okay, my diary... its just fancier to say "little black book"! ;D)

Cherri, you convince me that this uphill battle to retain my creativity might be worth it, after all. :kisslady I'm honored that you think my ordinary-ish life is inspiring... I am a poet out of a need to retain my vitality, that little something that lets me remain human. :hearts

Nite, I'm deeply flattered you think I should submit this to Reader's Digest. :sunny Incidentally, that was one of the early books Mom got me to start reading. It wasn't uncommon to find me sitting on a coveted window seat on the bus with my little nose buried in one of these, and a huge bag of books on my lap (and my exasperated mother beside me, trying to get me to pay attention to the bus route - I had a very strong propensity to get lost and end up in the unlikeliest places with no idea of where on the planet I was... My parents still don't trust me travelling alone when I'm home! :tongue ). My early inspiration to enter medicine came from reading one of those wonderful book section articles about Dr Fred Epstein, a pediatric neurosurgeon, published atleast ten years ago. {As a matter of fact, I still retain an overriding love of neurology and neurosurgery - we shall see where it leads me.}  

Very deeply humbled,  :poet
Arti.
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline daisyxo

• Alley Manager
  • Alley Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 05:38 PM »
I loved your story and applaud you for being able to continue grasping all of the things you love.  In a life that's full of studying, working, growing, and learning to cope with it all - something is usually left aside.  I'm glad you've held onto your poetic ambitions.  Here's to many more years at Splash ....

Cheers .....  :wine
~ Marsha ~

"Abilities wither under faultfinding, blossom with encouragement." -- Donald A. Laird

Offline Voodoo Child

• Temple Dancer
  • Paragon
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 04:56 AM »
Hi, Arti, my darlin' girl!

Wonderful story! It's so good to hear your words again.

Hugs! Cookie
Cookie...

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." John Lennon

Offline Soft Words

• Paragon
    • The Guinea Pig Poet
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 01:26 AM »
Daisy, I'm glad to see you around here. Flattered that you liked the story. Its not about holding on to poetic ambitions any more... its about staying human, sane, in touch with my feelings. Take care of yourself, and I'll keep an eye out for your poems.  :rose

Cookie, you never cease to amaze me. I'm in and out and around, try to make it here atleast four days a week. Hope you are doing well!

Warm hugs,
Arti.